Wednesday, June 26, 2019

More on some IC-7300 features

After I wrote my thoughts about the IC-7300 and returning the radio to the owner I realized I forgot a few things to write.  First of all I talked about the heat problem I always have with my IC-706MK2G. Well, although the sound of the IC-7300 fan is a little annoying, the radio is not getting warm at all. At least not at the outside and according to the TEMP meter it stays cool even after long transmissions with full power. Imagine I'm not used to that , I guess it's normal for a radio like this.

A feature I really like is the screen capture function. Ideal for documentation like in a weblog. The screen above is my favorite, but you can choose several screens. Like a audio scope screen or a bigger waterfall. You can also adjust the waterfall colors if you like to do that. Audio scope works on both RX as TX.




I doubt if every IC-7300 owner knows there is a build in RTTY decoder in the radio. I've just tested it briefly since it is not my favorite mode. There is a RTTY keyer inside and you could make a RTTY QSO just with the radio. If this is really interesting? I don't know. These days RTTY is only used for contesting and most are on FT8. Anyway, I'm shure it's just a matter of a software upgrade to switch RTTY to FT8 decode (or any other audio digimode) in the future.

But my most populair feature of the IC-7300 is the ability of record the audio with the radio. Great to listen back to QSOs. Or just to prove that you made the contact. One of my first recording tests I made a incredible DX on 10m....just listen:




It could be that more handy features I used in those weeks I had the IC-7300 will come back into my mind when using the IC-706MK2G again. If so I will update this post. I'm shure I will miss some of them...

No comments: