Sunday, November 29, 2020

#CQWW DX CW 2020 review



Event: CQWW DX CW contest 2020 
Section: Single Operator Assisted 20m QRP
Logger: N1MM+ 
Station: Icom IC-7300 5W (5%)
Antenna: Inverted-V @ 12m


The choice for QRP 20m assisted is obvious. There has never been a entry in this section from the Netherlands. It is possible to get a dutch record again....although after checking log submissions I see PA2REH did submit in the same section. Some competition is nice....

My goal was 100 QSOs. I had less time saturday end only able to make 30 QSOs on that day, surprisingly most with USA. I had some more time sunday ended with 108 QSO in the log. Of course no real DX with QRP......although! Late in the afternoon at sunday I noticed some fluttering signals on the band, that means signals from the north. And yes, after several QSOs into zone 4 I finally managed to get K2PO from Oregon (zone 3) into the log. I consider that DX for shure, 5W CW into a inverted-V remember! 


The map is just a indication. The Oregon contact is not on it. This is because the locator is not known by the software of course. I was really surprised I could work so many from the USA. Some of those contest stations really have good ears... 

6 comments:

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, congrats on the QRP effort and for sure the conditions were great for this contest.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Have you done some contesting Mike? I wonder how your reception of Europe stations was. I did make a few QSOs with Canada. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, yes I was in this contest for a bit over 10 hours. My reception of Europe is great from this new QTH! I had made contact with some Netherlands stations (PA75PKZ and PA1CC) in the contest as well.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

John AE5X said...

Hopefully you'll win your category Bas. We had storms here most of the weekend so I left the antennas disconnected but saw on the DX cluster all the activity taking place on 15 meters.

73 - John

Photon said...

Congratulations, Bas! Yes, those west coast USA DX are interesting. Sometimes they can last for an hour or more, other times just a few minutes. I've noticed that Hawaii is reachable with QRP recently, but only for about 25 minutes at the most, between 17 and 17:25UT in the past week.

Photon said...

Well done! "Shit happens". Ha ha! It does - always at the most shit time!

Enjoy!