Saturday, June 22, 2019

Summer solstice NLC and Japan on 6m

The NLC I saw at midnight was the brightest I ever saw till now. I even imagined I saw kind of waves in the air. This can be also seen in PA0K Paul's photo.



This has to cause good propagation to Japan on 6m. And it did, though I almost missed it due to other chores. I logged 2 Japanese stations JI4UEN and JH6VXP although it was hard and I didn't get the 73 in the end because it was so busy everyone was calling over each other. Besides that I needed to be in the same timeslot as my neighbour PA0O who was working QRO and handling a massive Japanese pile-up. So, for the QSO purists the QSO might be not valid but I log first and worry later. There will always be a new chance. I also spotted South-Korea and China, although PSK reporter does not always show every spot I noticed.




This will also be the last QSO's with PC7B's IC-7300. I will return the radio this afternoon. The radio brought me lots of pleasure and I want to thank him for borrowing me his excellent radio. I shure will miss it....



eQSL is received for both QSOs. For me, working Japan on 6m, was my holy grail. It was my goal for this year. So.....what will be next??

2 comments:

Photon said...

There you go. There really must be a link. You did see waves - they are gravity waves (not gravitational waves!), which are 'internal atmospheric gravity waves' breaking, like water waves, as they reach the mesosphere. Gravity is the force that restores the waves. They propagate up from the lower atmosphere, often kicked-up by winds over mountains and thunderstorms. These waves, as my latest blogpost mentions, are very likely to explain transient propagation that comes and goes (also seen strongly in normal Es events). I am very happy about your 6m success!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Just read your excellent explaining post on your blog. I'm not a scientist but find these things very interesting. Since you have studied these kind of clouds this year has to be a very big cloud party for you ;-). Again the relation between NLC (and especially this with gravity waves) and ES propagation to Japan is proven from my point of view. 73, Bas