Sunday, June 23, 2019

6m DX adventures last week

Too much happened here to report about and I didn't want to report on 6m DX only every day. Although I worked a few new DXCC it was very hard since signals had a lot of QSB fading in and out too fast at times. Well, just a overview:

-- The only DX station that was really easy this week was 5T5PA from Mauretania. Johannes was smart and used F/H FT8 exclusively on 50.323MHz resulting in a good pile-up for him.

-- Difficult was GD0TEP Isl. of Man, took me a lot of effort to get into the log.

-- UK9AA Uzbekistan was unworkable earlier this week but
suddenly popped up with a good signal a few days later. A QSO was easily made this time.


-- After receiving VR2XYL Hong Kong and BA7IO China I'd thought about another title for this post "Asian 6m fading waves" since it faded in very fast and signals were gone in just a few minutes. Receiving, even with signals as high as -6dB doesn't always mean you can make a QSO...

-- Into the other direction, transatlantic....I saw Canada and USA, nice....but already got them in the log. But the opening was there. More interesting was the opening to the west-indies, FG8OJ and TO1T from Guadeloupe, in the end I hope I'm in the log from TO1T. CO8LY Cuba could be worked as well, managed with just on the edge signals....


-- Then at Saturday morning, well regular readers do know....I worked Japan on 6m. For me it was the holy grail of 6m DX. If you manage to work Japan from Europe on 50MHz you are a real DXer in my eyes. It takes effort even with FT8. You need to be on the radio at the right moment. Propagation will only last for about 10-15 minutes max. and you need to stay cool and quiet because it will be a mess on the frequency and everyone is calling over each other to get the DX. My first with Japan was with JI4UEN.


Above the log from JI4UEN on his QRZ.com page. I've been staring to that for 5 minutes and actually find it hard to believe I was the last from his 3 european contacts. He probabely is just as happy with the QSO as I am :-)

Overall I think this is not bad considering time of year. If we are lucky propagation might be even better next month. Unfortunately I can't monitor every day but try to as much as possible. Hopefully I will not miss any of the magic from this magic band.


8 comments:

ON3DI said...

Indrukwekkend Bas! Is dit met een richtantenne of met een verticale antenne? Ben nu ook wel benieuwd hoeveel watt je daarvoor nodig had? Heb nog geen enkele FT8 qso in de log, ben er wat argwanend tegenover, maar het blijven mooie qso's/dxcc's! Pieter ON3DI

Photon said...

Brilliant! Personally, I really enjoy your 6m blog posts.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Pieter, dit is met een 5 element yagi @14m hoogte. Ik gebruikte 50W uit de IC-7300. Tja, je mag je wat mij betreft bij CW en SSB houden. Echter de DX stations zitten tegenwoordig toch echt veel op FT8. En zelfs met FT8 heb je operating practise nodig maar op een andere manier als wat we jaren gewend waren. Ik kn het je toch echt aanbevelen. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Thanks John, although I don't want to write about 6m every day and every time. Last week it seems every day happened something on 6m. That's why I collected everything and wrote this post. 73, Bas

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, toch een goede beslissing om de 6m beam in de mast te hangen. Gouden tijden voor jou. Prachtig. The Holy grail! 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

John AE5X said...

FB Bas - I've been spending quite a bit of time on 6m lately but not with the excellent results you've been having. However I did work your JA cousin on another band - JR1BAS!

73 - John AE5X

PE4BAS, Bas said...

De meeste 6m DXers doen het op deze manier. Echter ik gebruik geen QRO. Alleen de power uit mijn TRX. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, 6m DX takes max. effort and studying de propagation. You need luck and patience as well. I check PSK on AE5X regulary to see what you receive. Funny al kind of stations showing up with my name. 73, Bas