Wednesday, November 10, 2010

First preparations for my first attempt to contest QRP

Stand for my FT-817 I painted it semi gloss black and sticked some rubber feet so the radio will not move.
My good colleague Bart from the wood div. of my job has made me a nice radio-stand for the FT-817. This was necessary as I really had no idea how to put the radio on to my desk. I could make one myself but Bart does something like this in a snap of time and 10 times better as I ever could in a whole day. I finished it with some nice black color and some rubber feet so the radio will not move if I press a button. 
My intention is to take part in the Dutch PA-beker contest this Sunday at the SSB-QRP section. But this needs some preparation as I really did not have time to test my FT-817 yet. I did not make a single QSO with it so the contest will be it's baptism of fire I think.

The final setup, the FT-817 above the IC-706
Mijn goede collega Bart van de houtafdeling heeft voor mij even een mooi radio plankje gemaakt voor de FT-817. Dit was wel nodig want ik had geen flauw idee hoe ik de set moest neerzetten in mijn voorlopige shack. Zelf zoiets maken zou me gewoon een hele dag kosten en mijn collega maakt zoiets even in een paar minuten tussendoor en dan ook nog veel netter dan ik ooit zou kunnen. De bedoeling is dat ik ga meedoen in de QRP SSB sectie van de PA-beker, maar enige voorbereiding vergt dat nog wel. Ik heb dus totaal nog geen tijd gehad om de FT-817 te testen en heb nog geen enkel QSO gemaakt met het apparaat. De PA-beker contest zal z'n vuurdoop dus gaan worden. 


3 comments:

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, the stand looks great and all seems to fit just as well. Have a great time in the contest do let us know how you do. BUT be very careful you could get hooked on contesting!!!

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, misschien treffen we elkaar nog met de contest. Succes met de voorbereidingen. 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Mike, I think it's too late ! I'll write all about it...

@Paul, er moet nog een hoop gebeuren. Meer daarover later, we werken elkaar vast....als alles goed gaat.

73, Bas