Thursday, November 11, 2010

More preparations for the PA-beker contest

SuperDeLuxe headset with connection for radio, headphones and
 TX pedal. At least 2 Mtr of super unshielded cable made
in China. Costs including connectors and electronics
about 10 Euro.
Now I finally got my ft-817 in the shack I realized that my headset and TX pedal would not match with Yaesu mike connections. Reading some articles on the internet it seems to be that Icom uses a internal circuit on all their radios with a voltage via the mic wire to feed the electret element. That's why my headset works so well I guess. But Yaesu uses a 5V separate connection and you have to build the circuit yourself if you like to use a headset. Luckely my XYL experimented with Skype years ago and bought some very cheap chinese headsets, I decided to confiscate one to modify it for my ft-817. I found some interesting circuits to feed the electret element but with the USB modem experiments in mind I just picked the most simple one. I noticed a capacitor already on the electret so I guess I would have no problems with RFI/LF detection. I tried to make a recording from my audio via the utility in HRD logbook, but I think a setting was not good I heard nothing at playback. But from what I heard with my own ears on the IC-706 the modulation  is quite good.

The simple diagram(s). One advice keep all
ground connections separate.
Nu ik eindelijk mijn FT-817 in de shack heb gezet realiseerde ik me dat mijn Icom headset niet op de Yaesu gaat passen. Ik las op diverse pagina's op internet dat alle Icom radio's een intern circuit hebben dat het electret element voed met een kleine spanning via de mic draad. Bij Yaesu is er gewoon een aparte spanning aanwezig op de connector van 5V, de electronica voor het te voeden element moet je zelf maken als je een headset wilt gebruiken. Mijn XYL kocht jaren geleden een paar zeer goedkope chinese headsets om met Skype te experimenteren. Ik besloot er maar 1 te confisceren om te modificeren voor de FT-817. Ik vond een paar interessante schema's op internet en besloot met mijn mislukte USB modem experiment in gedachten de eenvoudigste maar uit te kiezen. Overigens zag ik dat er al een condensator over de electret zat, dus RFI/LF detectie zal ik el geen last van krijgen. Ik heb geprobeerd nog audio op te nemen met de utility in HRD logbook maar ik denk dat er een setting verkeerd stond want ik hoorde niets bij het terug spelen. Maar van wat ik hoorde met m'n eigen oren via de IC-706 was de modulatie wel aardig goed.

No comments: