Sunday, May 30, 2021

#60m Monaco worked


 Let's not forget about 60m!

I recently noticed that 3A/IW1RBI would be active this weekend. Although uncertain if they would activate 60m I was eager to make a QSO and so I programmed my DX alerting app to notify me. Theoretically they will be active till midnight today. But I have limited time and so if possible I did want to make it quick...


I initially saw spots of them at inconvinient times on CW/SSB and FT8. Saturday evening they made 1 CQ call on 60m that was spotted by about 12 stations. The app alerted me, but my station had not seen anything. I saw a few calling but no one made a contact. A few minutes later I saw them spotted on CW. Then the game begun. Like the old days....trying to find out were the DX was listening, tuning up or down... 3A/IW1RBI was not really strong but readable...I choose a frequency above all others to call on. And after about 20 times calling I was finally noticed. 

I have to say....I enjoyed this contact a lot more compared to the usual FT8 F/H these days were you just have to wait till you are next in line...

2 comments:

John AE5X said...

Hello Bas congrats. I saw them spotted on FT8 and CW too but mostly working EU stations. I think the topography of 3A makes it a difficult path for NA stations. In 43 years in this hobby I still have not worked (or even heard) Monaco!

73,
John

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, even for EU stations it is difficult to work 3A. There are not many active from there so you need to work DXpeditions most time. Same counts for HB0, T77 and HV. ZB counts a few very active operators and is not that difficult. I believe IW1RBI is activating 3A every year so you have a chance next year I guess....73, Bas