Wednesday, November 18, 2020

#60m Malawi worked

 I can assure you this was not an easy one. Very weak signals from this Russian DXpedition in Malawi on their last day active. I did receive them yesterday but there was unfortunately a birdie on their frequency and too many that made a call. After almost endless trying I finally made a QSO.

Some strange things were noticed by me and fellow 60m DXer DB6LL. 7Q7RU made CQs while many were calling like they didn't receive anything?? Hartmut noticed that they also responded to stations below 1000Hz in F/H mode, even to stations calling on their frequency. Normally that is not possible in WSJT-X. So we think they make use of alternative software. We could be mistaken of course? Anyway, it doesn't matter, they did an excellent job in these difficult times...



3 comments:

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, great work on making the contact and sometime having to work for it makes it all the better. As for the odd events who knows what it is.....it just keeps making ham radio exciting!
73,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Indeed Mike, working for it made it a lot more satisfying. It was a pain to receive them out of the noise anyway. In the end I found a reliable receive setting with JTDX SWLmode on and filter on. That was I was able to decode far into the noise. You see a decode of -22dB on the last rr73...
I think 7Q&RU is easier to work on other bands. But my interest is only in 60m these days. Worked 7Q7 already in 2006 on several bands...73, Bas

Hartmut Luedtke said...

Bas, that is very nice of you to mention me in your blog.