Tuesday, November 17, 2020

QSL from Somalia


 Might rename this post hypocrisy. Yes, against my QSL policy I payed for this QSL from the only HAM/radioamateur that is active from Somalia. At least Ali is honest on his QRZ page, he needs extra money to maintain his station and keep going on with activities from this DXCC. I still had some US dollars which have been stored for over 20 years in a envelope. The last time I spend dollars for a QSL was when I still collected QSL from 11m (CB) DX contacts. I thought this time it was well spend. Paper QSL is something that will slowly extinghuish in the next decades I think, so this might be extra special.

What got my attention is that he works with a Little Tarheel 2 mobile antenna. This is a motorized screwdriver mobile antenna. Not shure if he mounted this on a car or on anything other metal for counterpoise. Or he might have installed a radial network? Although not QRP I think this is still a amazing contact.

Thanks QSL Ali @ep3cq

4 comments:

John AE5X said...

180 watts into a Little Tarheel antenna on a 100% duty cycle mode...I wonder what amp he's using and how long his antenna will last before the coil melts?! I've put 45 watts into my PAR end-fed (25W rating) with no ill effect. Congrats on the contact!

73 - John

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I doubt he uses 180W JT8 actually....the antenna rating is 50W max PEP for all other modes except SSB. To be honest I can't imagine he's using the tarheel on FT8 at all. He might have one on his car. But probabely use a wire antenna on his base station. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Very nice catch Bas, I sure can understand wanting a card from a contact who is the only operating station in the country. As for the Tarheel in the past I had a similar antenna and operated RTTY with it. It took about a year but with this screwdriver antenna it used a circular spring that travelled up and down the stationary coil. I had to order (and reduce my power on RTTY)as the old one became burned and would not make proper contact. I found my SWR was going all over the place.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I still remember Mike, when I started to read your weblog. You wrote about your limited setup with antennas on the attic and a screwdriver antenna just outside I believe near te doorstep if I remember well. Thing did change a lot, much better now hobbywise...73, Bas