Tuesday, July 11, 2017

FT8 digimode

No, it is not a new Yaesu radio but a new digimode from K1JT. I already read about it from beta testers lately on some facebook pages I follow. But today you can download it from the WSJT site. That will say the new WSJT-X 1.8 with the new FT8 mode.

Don't forget to download the newest JT-Alert 2.9.10 as well if you use this software.

I was actually flabbergasted by the amount of signals I already received at the 20m FT8 frequency. Within a few moments I already worked HA6NN and A92AA. It went that fast I noticed I should have updated JT-Alert first as I was not spotting anyone in this new mode.

Now I did update and can get a breath....this is a incredible fast mode but not as sensitive as JT65/JT9, it decodes only till -20dB. The QSO is half automatic, that will say. If you answer a CQ the software will answer after you receive a report and finish the QSO, if you call CQ you only have to click the call and after the software transmits the report it will handle the rest of the QSO automatically. A complete QSO starting with CQ is finished in....7x15 seconds = 1 minute and 45 seconds. That is really fast and you really need to concentrate not to miss anything. It is totally different from JT65 and JT9 and absolutely not "zen". I think this mode would qualify for contesting in the (near) future.

Just to let you know there is another new digimode based on the JT modes. Called T10 and developed in the JTDX software. I didn't test it yet as I have issues with the newer JTDX software. I really need a faster computer I think...

While writing this blogpost, look at the map below and at the right side of this blogpost at my latest QSOs. It is incredible....


I have seen fellow blogger PC4T also a few times on this new digimode and expect a blogpost from him soon.... ;-)

5 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

hallo Bas, ik zag je ook al voorbij komen op mijn scherm ;-) ja, lekker snelle digi mode. Even wennen dat wel. Ik ben benieuwd voor 6 meter hoe dat gaat. Lijkt me een prima mode voor sporadische E. Ik heb op 20 en op 40 m enkele qso's gemaakt met FT8. 73 Paul PC4T

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, dankzij jouw blog en die van Paul werd ik op FT8 geattendeerd en uiteraard onmiddellijk geïnstalleerd. En inderdaad een supersnel programma maar die sequence is een hele uitkomst. Vanmiddag en vanavond een uitproberen met wat meer vermogen dan 4,5W en lange coax. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul en Hans, hoop dat jullie er veel plezier mee hebben. Weet niet of het mijn favoriet word. Vind JT9 nog steeds de topper. Maar ja, danmoet er wel wat te werken zijn ;-). 73, Bas

PD9X said...

Hallo Bas

Gisteravond voor het eerst geprobeerd, werkt erg fijn!

Hoe heb jij je klok op tijd gezet? Ik loop niet helemaal in de pas met decoder en TX.


73

Laurens PD9X

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Er zijn verschillende progjes voor Laurens, kijk eens naar http://www.timesynctool.com/. Die gebruik ik. 73, Bas