Saturday, November 14, 2020

MFJ948 to S-match conversion (3)

 My last post about the MFJ948 T-match tuner conversion to S-match tuner dates from February this year. It contained a fault which was quickly seen by PA0VAJ Jan. I asked the readers if they could discover the fault but it seems no one was really interested or it was too difficult to find. Or readers might have expected I would write about it in a short time. But actually I had other things on my mind and the tuner was put in a carton box for later experimenting.

The fault


The MFJ989 to S-match conversion diagram from PA0FRI's page contains a fault. It is there since 2018 and I don't think anyone has noticed. Probabely no one else has tried to convert a T-match to S-match yet. The coil and capacitor(s) need to be on both sides of the two 8 winding sections. In this diagram the coil is mounted over the 16 winding part.



The strange thing is that the same page does show the correct diagram at the top. I didn't see the difference at first till Jan told me the wiring was incorrect. So, I changed it to correct things.





The problem

After changing the wiring testing showed a little better SWR but still most frequenties couldn't be tuned exactly to 50 Ohm. The problem is the switchable coil. PA0FRI noted this as well and so I changed the wiring again to make a quasi roller inductor. This is done by connecting a varco in series with the coil. Unfortunately the PA0FRI site contains another fault which was easy to see...

Obviously I guess readers of this blog will see this fault instantly. 


The result

Much better! I'm finally able to tune 1:1 on most bands from 3,5-30MHz. Except 15m, for that band I need to switch extra capacity over te main capacitor C2. For 80m it helps as well to get a slightly better SWR. For 60m I need to connect the antenna over de coil, it will not tune when connected over the capacitor. Tuning is pretty difficult since the components in the MFJ-948 are small. I remember it was difficult to tune when it still was a T-match tuner as well. Without a antenna analyzer like the MFJ-948 I use it is almost impossible to find the right settings.

For archive purposes this is my list of settings: 

S-match test

Over L                            Over C

BandC1LC2C1LC2
80*8K5,56L1,5
603,75K0npnpnp
402J12-3,5L-3,5
301I-5-3F-2
200,5H-3-1F-1
172E-30E-2
15*10,5L7
npnpnp
121I9,52,5E-2
109,5H-1IC-4

np=not possible
* with 300pF C parallel over C2

Now, the S-match tuner seems to be excellent to balance your transmission line. But is it efficient? I think that depends on what components you use. The MFJ-948 components are not that great...
To determine the quality of the build and compare it with my Palstar AT1KM I should build a RF antennacurrent meter first. More about that later...

The finished project:




4 comments:

PA2RF said...

Interessant project. 73 Ron

Steve Silverman said...

Hi Bas

Thanks for pointing out the error in the schematic for the MFJ-989 S Match conversion. I am doing such a conversion now and have a good MFJ989 to work with. Maybe I'll be the second ham to do such a conversion!

Your timing is perfect. You did a nice job with your MFJ948 S-Match conversion.

73
Steve Silverman KB3SII
steve@QRPworks.com

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Steve, good luck with your conversion. The MFJ989 does have better (bigger) components. I think that will have a big influence on efficiency. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Zeker, en zeer leerzaam Ron. Deed er alleen nogal lang over. Maar het is nu eindelijk klaar. 73, Bas