Thursday, November 24, 2011

Time issues again...

A few months ago I wrote about a time issue I had with a program called meinberg NTP. It suddenly stopped sync time on my laptop. I went back to Dimension4 and have no problems since. Now, I installed meinberg NTP on my desktop as well, using it for JT65-HF, WSPR and other digi mode programs. But last week it stopped sync the time on the desktop as well. So back to D4 I thought, so I downloaded it and installed but although it told the clock has been synchronized it didn't really update the computer clock. I've tried everything to get it working, installed it again, did a restore of Win Vista, seaarched on the internet. But could not solve the problem. I wanted to get active again with JT65, but with the clock out of sync that is impossible. I found a atom time clock on the internet and updated the clock myself. But found that was not the solution. I came across NetTime then and just thought to give it a try. It seems to be working as I can make and receive JT65 again. Strange things happen if you use windows.....


Een aantal maanden geleden schreef ik over een tijd probleem dat ik had met het programma meinberg NTP. Het programma stopte zomaar met het synchroniseren van de computerklok op mijn laptop. Ik ging terug naar het eerder gebruikte Dimension4 en dat werkt sindsdien weer prima. Nu had ik meinberg NTP ook op mijn desktop staan, de computer die ik dus gebruik voor JT65, WSPR en alle andere digi modes. Gek genoeg stopte daar ineens het sychroniseren ook afgelopen week. Terug naar D4 dan maar. Maar ondanks dat D4 aangaf dat er een sync uigevoerd was werd de computerklok niet bijgezet. Van alles heb ik geprobeerd, D4 opnieuw geinstalleerd, terug naar een vorig herstel punt met Win Vista maar niets hielp. Omdat ik weer wat JT65 wou doen heb ik toen de klok maar met de hand bijgezet m.b.v. een atoomtijdklok die ik op internet vond. Leuk, maar geen oplossing vond ik uiteindelijk. Toen vond ik NetTime en dat maar eens geprobeerd. Het schijnt te werken want de klok loopt nog steeds op tijd. Ik kan sindsdien weer JT65 QSO´s maken. Er gebeuren soms gekke dingen met Windows....

Results after a QSO with Japan and USA on 20m with 5W on the loop antenna.

4 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, ik hoop dat NetTime blijft werken. Ik heb dat ook wel eens gehad met Windows dat opeens een bepaald programma niet werkt. Erg vreemd. Zo kreeg ik op XP opeens moviemaker niet meer aan de praat ondanks backups terugzetten of opnieuw installeren, het werkte gewoon niet meer. 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, I have both programs installed one on the desktop and the other the laptop. I too have had troubles with NTP at times. As for Dimension4 never had any issues. I will bookmark Net time and give it a go and see how it works. I hope to be on JT65 by next weekend now that I have the interface troubles worked out.
Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, wat dat betreft is Windows een hoofdpijnprogramma. Ik heb de computer nu 4 jaar, in de tussentijd 2x gecrashed. Sommige programma's willen bij mij op gegeven moment ook niet meer. Dan maar naar alternatieven zoeken. Gelukkig kan er tegenwoordig ook veel online (cloud).
Dan ben je niet meer afhankelijk van een besturingssysteem.
73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, I never had any issues with D4 as well. And it still is working on my laptop (XP). The strange thing was that D4 told me it did a sync, but it actually didn't update the computerclock. I discovered it when I tried to receive JT65 and saw the signals coming in 2 or 3 seconds too late. Hope to meet you next week/weekend on JT65. 73, Bas