Saturday, November 12, 2011

Eventually they will snap!

I've been busy to set up to 84m horizontal loop again today. The XYL was not too happy with this. First it is a ugly thing in her garden and second we are still busy to finalize building the new bathroom and I should have spend time for that too. But then, the PA-beker contest is only this weekend, the bathroom is still there next week. It's  always a struggle to divide time between so many things especially when you got a hobby. Well, I always thought the militairy glasfiber mastparts I have to build the supporting poles of the loop antenne would be unbreakable. But the first mast snapped when I tried to get it up. Anyway, I got some spares and the next one did hold it. The loop is up again. Now, a test on 80m didn't work out, I called several times but no one replied. I heard PA0PSA and YT2SS calling but they didn't hear me. So I switched to 40m, a  few calls to 9A6DX and we had a nice chat. Report 5/5 with 5W into the loop is not that bad. A quick modulation report guide me to another setting of the Turner +3B mike I now have connected to the Yaesu. I hope I'm ready for tomorrows PA-beker contest.


Vandaag de 84m horizontale loop weer opgezet. De XYL was er niet zo blij mee. Ten eerste is het een lelijk ding in haar tuin en ten tweede had ik mijn tijd beter kunnen besteden aan het afmaken van de badkamer. Maar goed de PA-beker is alleen dit weekend en de badkamer is er komende week ook nog wel. Het is altid weer een strijd om je tijd zo te verdelen dat iedereen tevreden is, vooral als je een hobby hebt. Ik dacht dat die militaire glasfiber mastdelen die ik gebruik om de loop aan op te hangen niet konden breken. Maar helaas de eerte mast die ik omhoog wou zetten brak!!! Gelukkig heb ik nog reserve delen en de volgende hield het wel. De loop staat weer. Een test op 80m ging uiteindelijk niet werken, heb een paar keer CQ geroepen en ik hoorde PA0PSA en YT2SS, maar ze hoorden mij blijkbaar niet. Dus snel naar 40m geschakeld daar had ik een kort QSO met 9A6DX rapport 5/5 met 5W in de loop. Niet heel erg slecht. Een modulatie rapport gaf aan dat de Turner +3B wel een stukje zachter kon, dus dat heb ik dan maar gedaan. Hopelijk ben ik nu klaar voor de PA-beker contest.


4 comments:

John AE5X said...

Bas, I still have not told my wife about the 15m Moxon I plan to build and install before CQWW in 2 weeks...dividing time between hobby and duty is an art I'm still trying to learn :-)

PC1I said...

Don't tell John!
It is about the same as you will never see she has been out for a hairjob...

Simply put the thing up! She won't see it... And if she does you can tell her it is the new clothes dryer but you put it up to high by accident... To make your story more true put some washing pins on the wires!
;-)

73, Kees PE2KM

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Gna Gna :-) Wat een humor....73, Bas

John AE5X said...

Good idea Kees - and if things don't go right, I'll blame you!