Sunday, October 21, 2018

Radio is magical

Appeared today.....a magical sign??
Sorry, no post about the JS8Call party yet....more on that later. No, it's about the magic of radio. Remember my "QSO of 2018"? Well I did it again. I saw PG0DX Henry spotting ZL4OL on 60m and just catched his last over to ZL4OL on 5362 FT8 this morning. And although I saw a faint signal in the waterfall it was not decodable yet. Then I saw PA2S Henk making a QSO. Why couldn't I decode the signal? Suddenly it occured to me that the LED TL tube in the shack could make some noise although hardly noticable, I switched it off and ZL4OL could be decoded. There was indeed a difference and so another thing learned especially when a station is far into the noise I better switch off the light. Some minutes later the QSO was made again. This time the signal was better as last February. It proves the inverted-V is working well. Although I did it before it still is a miracle that you can make a long path (+22000km) contact to the other side of the world with only 15W. As far as I know Mike was using 10W. Radio is truly magical....


4 comments:

Hans said...

Mooie verbinding Bas. Nu weet je het dat TL buizen gigantisch kunnen storen in/op de ether. Zeker in het hf deel maar ook op vhf en uhf. Bij mij geen tl's HI. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, zo heel veel stoort het ding niet. Is bijna niet merkbaar. Maar met dit soort signalen dus wel....73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, ik lees steeds meer gevallen van storing met sommige LED lampen. Maar dit een hele mooie verbinding met ZL. 73 Paul PAØK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, stel je er niet zo heel veel van voor. Je kan de storing niet "zien" en het is nauwelijks te horen. Alleen als je naar de ruis luistert en je schakelt de lamp uit hoor je verschil. 73, Bas