Monday, September 3, 2018

The ultimate portable digitalmode unit (1)

We are not the only ones searching for the most efficient and ideal (digital) way to communicate. The army is constantly busy to find and develope new ways and new technologies. I came across this video and especially this shot of using a 7 inch tablet in a kind of headless communication with the radio. This is not completely true since it still has a cable to the radiounit or computer at his back. This can be done wireless through WiFi or bluetooth although it would be not reliable enough in the warzone. The complete video is below find the shot at 01:11 and 01:47.


I've been thinking and looking at the most inspiring videos from Julian OH8STN who is way ahead on me with portable digital communications. I use his experience for my own development of a digital portable station. One of the most important things I discovered trying to participate in events like RaDAR is fast deployment. Therefore I think it is important to see radio and computer + power supply as one unit. You should not need to connect all the wires on location, it should be a push button operation fast and simple. My goal would be building a unit that fits in a backpack radio + computer + power supply (battery) that can be switched on by pushing a few buttons and then operate it wireless through a external smartphone, tablet and via a WiFi or Bluetooth network. Julian already made a hint towards hamradio equipment developers developing a radio with a integrated computer you can access with a external computer/tablet/smartphone through a wireless or wired network independent what OS you're using. That would be ideal but not existing yet. Although the technology is there already for years you just need to come up with the idea!

OH8STN setup with headless Raspberry Pi already works well

PE4BAS setup which is still a concept
A nice example can be viewed here: https://dl1gkk.com/portable-amateur-radio-station/
Although this is not really a lightweight setup and DL1GKK even carries a separate box with a 72Ah battery since the amplifier will get 18A+ when using it at 150W.

5 comments:

MØYKS Simon said...

Looks interesting and I agree everything could be Bluetooth which would be a good step forward for ham radio equipment. I also like the combat clothing hi hi. Best 73 de M0YKS Simon

Photon said...

A very interesting post.

This issue highlights the fact that big radio manufacturers are making transcievers aimed at - and priced for - the largest fraction of the ham radio community - the older age groups.

Older folk want to stay at home and be comfortable with their radio. It is understandable enough.

Nobody, though, seems to be catering for younger and newer operators, most of whom can't or won't soon be able to operate very well from home due to ever-worsening RFI.

People like me also enjoy being outdoors, meeting people, and capturing ultra-low elevation radio waves that others can't hear!

It seems there is an enormous hole in the market for someone who can put together an integrated digimode transceiver. Maybe the Chinese will rise to the challenge?

For now, I think I am as close as I can be, although the many wires need tidying up!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

It still is a concept Simon. I hope it will work the way I thought? So far, only the GPS and keyboard are ready. Waiting for some other things to complete this. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Not all old men are the same John, however it is a interesting view. Personally I like to get outdoors with the radio, by car, backpacking or with the bicycle. But only when weather permits for the last two. The problem only is that I don't have that much time for the hobby. So if I want to do this it should be fast and not a 15 minute setting up everything to finally transmit. I can do it quite fast from the car. But to go like Julian OH8STN does needs another approach. You have to carry your battery and shelter with you. It's fun to think about best solutions.....By the way the idea of transmitter with a build in cpu is not mine but comes from Julian. 73, Bas

Angel M0HDF said...

Hello Bas. Good post and interesting stuff.
I used something similar during the summer break, although only on RX. Setup used a Linx10 tablet,SDRPlay RSP2, Cross Country Wireless active RX antenna, small LIPO battery & fiberglass pole for the antenna. I have been playing with the idea of getting a solar panel & light shelter too. I shall investigate the options to extend this to TX. 73 Angel M0HDF