Friday, September 21, 2018

FT-817 speaker replacement

Before
Not that it was a need. But the speaker was offered at Sotabeams and if you apply for a newsletter you get a discount code. I never bought something at Sotabeams and actually I only heard from this nice amateurradio webshop when I did some experiments meeting the owner G3CWI Richard last year with FSQ on air in June/July 2017. So I decided to give it a try and order the speaker with discount, it was received very fast and well packed. And replacement looks simple enough to me.


After

The instructions VK3BQ wrote are very clear although to remove the foam rings from the oldspeaker I heated the metal with a heat gun in order to warm up the glue so it could be pulled off quite easily. After I was done I did a little test from my job at lunchbreak. Actually I wanted to test it from my car but forgot to bring the magnet mount with me. And so I got the magloop out of the bag. Propagation was not that good I think because I could barely hear stations on 20m. I was looking for a loud station so I could test if the speaker would be distorted at a higher volume (the original did) but so far it sounded pretty well. The video shows the only station I could hear on 20m at that time. The new speaker seems to be humidity resistant and that's always a good thing for a portable radio.




2 comments:

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, goed dat je dit item even aan haalt.
Gelukkig had ik mijn luidspreker al vervangen maar een hoop amateurs met FT-817 kennen dit niet. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Vind jij er veel verschil in zitten? Overigens na toen ik thuis alles weer aansloot had ik geen S-meter meer op SSB??? Wel ontvangst maar de S-meter kwam niet meer uit de hoek. Vreemd he! Om een lang verhaal kort te maken.....het bleek dat in het menu AGC op uit stond. Heb hem nu weer op auto gezet en probleem is verholpen. Blijkbaar heb ik een keer in het menu zitten knoeien i.v.m. digimodes de AGC uit gezet en vergeten. 73, Bas