Thursday, September 27, 2018

The case of the failing FT-817 S-meter

This case took me several hours and since I didn't have time to solve this it was something that kept my mind busy the whole saturday. I think it is interesting enough to write a post about it.

The case or problem, or we better call it the challenge: S-meter not functioning on LSB/USB on any band except for some really strong signals S-meter shows only 1 or 2 bars. RF gain fully open. RX is good, antenna is good (checked with another radio). S-meter does function on FM and PKT mode.

I did not use the radio for a long time and this problem occured to me after I replaced the speaker. First I was afraid I broke something (you never know). Soon it became clear to me it has to be something wrong in the radio settings, but what? Since I used the radio only for digimode the last half year it could be related to that, and it did....AGC was turned off in the menu. When I switched it to automatic the S-meter came alive and everything was normal again.


5 comments:

PA4JJ said...

Nou dat scheelt weer een ritje naar Oldebroek.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Denk dat Leo best wel eens van dit soort akkefietjes heeft ;-). 73, Bas

Hans said...

(3e poging)
Hallo Bas, je moet er maar achter komen bij deze klachten. Naderhand heel logisch maar voor je er achter bent.....
Je hebt er van geleerd en dit vergeet je nooit meer.
73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Had jij het direct geweten Hans? 73, Bas

Hans said...

Nee Bas, ik had ook eerst moeten nadenken en alles checken. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ.