Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Welcome to the future 4

I think I will continue with my "Welcome to the future" of HAM radio series. I started my first post in this series in 2011. I think it was the time that the Elecraft KX3 was just on the market. Time flies and what I described then is already close to what you can have on your radio today. Though there are not many yet that let you program your features yourself. Still it would be nice to see a radio were you are free to program the buttons, knobs etc. I think that it will be just a matter of time to see more of these freely programmable radios on the market.

Last week I came across the video from VE3CNU aka "The radio hobbyist" about the new Icom 7300. It looks like a radio that could replace my old Icom IC-706 if I ever had the finance for it. I'm shure this is only the first SDR based Icom from many to follow...


The nice thing about this radio is that it will cover HF, 6m and 4m. Though it will not cover 2m and 70cm like the Icom-706MKIIG I have. Since I rarely be active on 2m and 70cm it would be no problem for me. 

No comments: