Thursday, November 16, 2023

My quest to learn CW (1)

Begali Simplex Basic paddle. I'm interested 
to learn sending morse with it.
   This will be my first post about learning CW. It is my ultimate goal in this hobby. Not that I have no fun without knowing morsecode. I just want to be able to communicate with morsecode without the need of a computer with CW decoder. This would especially very handy in emergency situations.

I'm trying to get my mind & will on learning morse for years now. Actually I wanted to learn it before getting 50 years old. Now I'm 55 and finally seriously am practising morse code every day. I am able to recognise all 26 letters of the alphabet, numbers 0-9 and some signs like / . ? =.

Software or website

At first years ago, after some recommendations, I tried the lcwo.net website. But for some reason I cannot learn from that platform. It's way too fast and I think more interesting for those that already learned the code in the past and want to update their knowledge and improve their skills.

I came across a small game app called "morsetoad" on google play about 8 years ago. Tried that and it is really nice. Later I bought the app on my iPhone. I almost finished the game when it became unavailable on apple app store. Tried to message the developer but no reaction yet! It still seems to be available on android however.

Reading some blogs I found "morsemachine". It was surprise that it can be downloaded from G4ILO's (SK) website which is still online. This small piece of software did the trick for me so far, and it is the software I use to practise every day. I started learning the letters in  the first months. Then I learned the numbers and finally the symbols. 

Unfortunately you need a computer to run morsemachine. So I wanted to have something on my phone as well to practise when I don't have a computer nearby. I found "Morsemania" for my iPhone after reading some reviews. It is a nice app and you can learn the letters for free. If you want to learn more you need to buy the app, which I did. You can also learn to transmit morse with this app which I'm trying as well.

Learning morsecode at (online) clubs

Yes, I am aware this is by far the best method. I participated in a online course but never attended it actually because it was at a very inconvinient time. I'm not willing to spend time at all kind of online teams meetings every week to learn the code. It most times is at times I have other things to do. It would be better to get to a physical morsecode learning group or gathering but most of them are far away, I'm not willing to drive several hours a week just to learn morsecode.

The challenges

First challenge was to learn letters, numbers and symbols, I'm getting there. But very slowly. I'm learning at a speed of about 24-26 wpm which is most convinient for me. It's hard to just recognise the sound/rythm of a letter and instantly know what it is. But I'm getting better every day.

Second challenge will be small words. I'm not that far. I even struggle with words of just 2 letters or numbers. I really need to think for a second and that is much to long. I also try to decode beacons which are sending morse code at slow speeds, especially the ones on 10m which you can hear now every day. It is a great excersise but I need to hear it many times before I can get the call and locator. I really wonder how experienced CW operators learned this. How many months or years do I have to practise before I can instantly recognise letters and numbers and decode complete words? What's the secret?

The goal

My goal of course is to communicate at least small messages. Making QSOs but a bit further as the usual 5NN TU 73. Actually I was discussing this in a QSO with PZ5JW Rico on 10m SSB last sunday, very special since he is on CW for 99%. He offered me to make a sked to practise and make a QSO, but I'm not that far and refused. I even do not have a physical keyer or morsekey connected to my radio yet :-(. And yes, my IC-7300 can send morse from its internal keyer but what is the fun of that...

Well, those who want to say something about it, cheer me up or help me with tips, just make a comment...

_ _ ... / ..._ _  

. .


22 comments:

PB1S said...

Wat een leuk verhaal! Afgelopen zomer ben ik gestart met het leren van morse code, ook met Morsemania. Een geweldige app! Gestart met 20 wpm maar al snel verhoogd naar 25 wpm om zo minder goed punten en strepen te horen. Ik zit nu op level 17. Er is nog een lange weg te gaan. Ik ben ook benieuwd hoe mensen die CW zeer goed beheersen morse precies 'horen'. Ik hoor het nog karakter voor karakter waarna ik na het invoeren pas het woord zie. Veel succes toegewenst met oefenen!

John AE5X said...

Good luck, Bas! There are really only two secrets to learning CW:

(1) Don't get frustrated with what you may perceive as a lack of progress
(2) Practice consistently, but don't over-practice

Setting unrealistic goals can lead to frustration...this may be one of those rare occasions when it's better to *not* set a goal. Ignore the concept of progress - just practice regularly, in small amounts, and progress will occur on its own.

Again, good luck and 73!

John AE5X

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Bertwin Leuk dat je ook aan het leren bent met dezelfde app. Ik heb alle levels van de letters/numbers onder de knie. Nu bezig met woorden en prosigns. Maar dat gaat nog niet echt super. Succes. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@John, Tnx for the comment. Indeed I take a break in weekends. So I will not over-practice. Taking that break does well, I always find I made progress on Mondays ;-). Well I'll take your advise in my mind not setting a goal. But it will be difficult. I really want to make QSO's soon. Well, I guess I have to be patient. Some people tell that I should also try sending CW to make progress. What do you think?

73, Bas

Jan, OZ9QV said...

John is right. Don't push too hard.

I learned CW decades ago, and I still use it on all bands.

Don't take it too seriously when the speedsters start sending. If someone adapts to the speed you send, they ere good operators.

Good luck, and it's good to see you join the fun that is CW.

73, Jan

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, my turn to chime in on this one. As already has been said don't over due it and don't get frustrated. As you may have read in the past morse code is like learning a new language. IMHO the speed you are learning at (24-26) is in around the speed where you may need letter recognition if you are listening to multiple letters. If letter recognition becomes frustrating try slowing down just a bit.
You did ask when does code recognition kick in....well for me it's hard to say. We are dealing with our brains when it comes to language and all I can say for me is that at some point it just started to click.
Bas we all have been there...listening to letters and focusing on one letter and missing the next. This part of the learning process as you are teaching your brain to move from hearing the code, translating it and then understanding it to hearing the code and understanding it.
Remember to rejoice in all the small steps and the big steps will come in time.
For those who understand the code at higher speeds it's funny as when you go to increase your speed to more letters at first do not sound as they once did. Even the well seasoned when they increase in speed get caught up with letters like B,V,H,S and so on.
Bas if you would like any more info or have a question feel free to email me as well.
Time to get off my soapbox now....
73,
Mike
VE9KK or ..._ . _ _ _ _ . _._ _._ _ _ ... ..._ _

VE9KK said...

Hey Bas....forget the code part did not work well in blog post translation.......
Mike
VE9KK :))

Anonymous said...

Hi Bas,
I can recommend what worked for me - I tried all the tools you listed but found finally https://morsecode.ninja/
(plus an Android app based on the principle - Ditto CW: Morse Player by Billy Francisco)
73 de Greg DL3GJ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Mike, tnx for the nice comment. It means a lot to me to read advice and experience from experienced operators. I'll keep practising. No problem with the morsecode text. You can try / between te letters instead of spaces. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Jan, tnx for your comment. I notice that many will slow down when you do not copy at first instance. Not always in a contest. I already joined the CW fun but always with the computer. I don't want that, I really like to decode myself. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Greg, tnx for the comment. And tnx for your recommendations. I do not have android devices. Only iPhone and Apple iPad devices. Many of the apps on Android are not available for Apple unfortunately. I had a look at ninja morsecode. That's not for me. Just like LWCO. I really need something that looks and feels like a game. But it is good you have found something that helps you. 73, Bas

Frank PF5T said...

Hoi Bas,

Ik weet zeker dat de Morserino jou een stimulans gaat geven. Een configureerbaar stukje hardware, zelf in elkaar te zetten, om elke dag iets leuks mee te doen. Of je nou het nemen van wilekeurige letters wilt oefenen, een tekstje wilt afspelen, audio uit een (T)RX wilt decoderen, samen met iemand anders wilt oefenen, wilt CW-chatten met een CW-chatbot, of zelfs een TX op afstand wilt laten sleutelen.... Het kan allemaal. De veelzijdighied is het enige valkuiltje, omdat je er zoveel mee kunt, onderbreek je soms een oefening om er ff iets leuks mee uit te halen. Bas, jij en ik zouden over IP met elkaar kunnen oefenen door elkaar woorden/afkortingen/rapporten toe te zenden.. De Morserino van Willi Kraml OE1WKL.. check de videos op youtube ook. Best 73 de PF5T

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Frank, bedankt voor je reactie over de morserino. Ik heb het gezien en gelezen. Een interessant stukje techniek. Heb je deze zelf? Lijkt me wel een leuk apparaatje. Enige nadeel is de prijs. En dan heb je alleen nog maar een kit. De accu/lader moet je daarnaast nog aanschaffen. En dan het ding nog een keer in elkaar zetten. Tja, dat is toch wel een drempel. In plaats van daar tijd aan te besteden ga ik liever gewoon oefenen. Met een telefoon gaat dat makkelijker, die is altijd bij de hand. Ik oefen namelijk niet thuis, te veel afleiding. Meestal oefen ik in de middagpauze op het werk. 73, Bas

Frank PF5T said...

Hai Bas, ja ik heb zelf een Morserino gekocht en in elkaar gezet. Ik ben er erg enthousiast over. Goeie tip van je om op het werk eens in de pauze te oefenen, ga ik doen! Ik kijk met belangstelling uit naar je volgende blog over je morse-ervaringen. Best 73, Frank

PB1S said...

@PE4BAS,

MorseMania is echt en uitstekende app! Ik gebruik hem dagelijks met veel plezier. In het begin zijn de stappen die je maakt groot en duidelijk merkbaar. Iedere keer leer je weer een nieuw karakter dan wel leesteken en telkens ga je naar een nieuw level. De non-latin karakters heb ik overigens overgeslagen, die komen in de woorden tot en met level 18 (waar ik nu ben) niet aan de orde.

Zodra je woorden oefent is er ook progressie, maar op een gegeven moment ga je minder snel van het ene level naar het andere level. Dan lijkt het alsof er minder voortgang is. Met de woorden leer je vooral steeds meer geautomatiseerd karakters te herkennen en in te voeren. Gaandeweg kun je steeds meer karakters in één keer opnemen en daarna invoeren. En dat merk je dan doordat je plots een level completeert en naar het volgende level gaat. Op dit moment kan ik lange woorden nemen, maar dan moet ik het woord wel een of meerdere keren herhalen en de karakters dan gegroepeerd invoeren. Begrijpen wat ik hoor laat nog erg te wensen over. Door het invoeren van de karakters ontstaat een woord. Vaak weet ik pas wat het woord is als ik alle karakters heb ingevoerd. Dit geldt ook voor relatief korte woorden, al gaat dat wel steeds beter.

Ik denk dat het ook goed is om meer passief te leren, door te luisteren in plaats van steeds actief karakters in te voeren. Soms luister ik naar CW QSO's op HF, maar hier kan ik nog weinig chocolade van maken. Soms hoor ik bekende dingen zoals CQ, RST en natuurlijk bekende karakters, maar callsigns en woorden ontcijferen gaat nog erg moeizaam tot niet. Je weet simpelweg niet wat je zou moeten horen. Zou je dat wel weten, dan zou je denk ik veel meer leren van het luisteren naar CW. Een vreemde taal leer je over het algemeen ook doordat je weet welk woord je in de vreemde taal gaat horen. Het is niet andersom; dat je moet raden wat je hebt gehoord.

Daarom ben ik sinds dit weekend met iets nieuws gestart, als experiment: gesproken woord gevolgd door datzelfde woord in morsecode. Na lang zoeken vond ik de volgende website die deze audio kan genereren: https://morsecode.world/international/trainer/words.html Er zijn heel veel woordensets beschikbaar en de woorden kunnen in verschillende talen worden uitgesproken. Ik ga eerst oefenen met een lijst van de 500 meest gebruikte woorden in het Nederlands, gevonden via: https://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20151012_01915044 Het woord wordt in het Nederlands uitgesproken, dan het woord inbeelden en dan naar de morsecode luisteren zonder de morsecode echt te ontleden. Morse is op 30 wpm met 30 wpm tussenpozen. Dat vind ik nog goed hoorbaar zonder dat je echt overduidelijk de punten en strepen hoort. Je hoort het als een woord en minder als een verzameling losse karakters. Aangezien de website geen downloadfunctie heeft, heb ik de audio opgenomen met een audiorecoder. Het opgenomen bestand heb ik als mp3 geüpload naar WeTransfer: https://we.tl/t-6OMWtQuXTV Deze ga ik in de auto tijdens o.a. woon-werk-verkeer beluisteren. Ben benieuwd of/hoe dit zal werken.

Veel succes met het oefenen!

73,
PB1S

Anonymous said...

TOP dat je CW leert Bas :-)

Ik gebruik CW elke dag met groot plezier en sluit me aan bij John AE5X zijn opmerkingen.
Soms zit het eens een paar dagen tegen, maar daarna gaat het weer.
En kan het zomaar zijn dat je op een dag ineens ervaart dat het veel makkelijker gaat !
Misschien volgend jaar in de PA beker wel een echt CW qso ;-)
Succes en veel plezier !
73 Oene PA3CWN

MadDogMcQ said...

Hi Bas,
I enjoyed reading your post about learning. As you know, I too am about to start the journey. I have got MorseMania on my iPhone and iPad at home and at work. I also downloaded MorseMachine on my PC.

I started by learning to SEND a string (CQ CQ TEST M7MCQ) on my paddles so that I can use it on RBN for propagation checks and then it motivated me to take it further.

I just need to allocate a time-slot each day to practise and stick to it! I know from learning to paint, that you have to stop worrying about all the many failures and celebrate the little victories. Sooner or later I hope the victories will exceed the failures LOL.

I should be ready for a QSO on my 70th birthday :-)))))

73, Tom, M7MCQ
www.m7mcq.com

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Bertwin, bedankt voor je lange reactie. Ik denk dat ik vlakbij het niveau ben waar jij ook zit. Korte woorden gaat vrij goed, lange woorden wat minder. Het automatiseren gaat nog wat tijd kosten. Vind het wel erg leuk (verslavend) om het te doen. Bedankt voor de 500 woorden MP3, die heb ik gedownload en ga ik af en toe beluisteren. Komend weekend de CQWW CW contest, ga ik weer een beetje meedoen. En zoveel mogelijk proberen zo te decoderen. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Oene, bedankt voor je reactie. En nog bedankt voor het QSO in de 11 steden contest. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Tom, yes I know you're busy to learn CW as well. Good idea to learn sending morse with your paddles. I might do the same in time. Good luck learning. 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hoi Bas, leuk om te lezen dat je toch op het CW pad komt. Je weet dat ik al van het eerste begin voornamelijk met CW heb gewerkt. Met de digimodes ben ik gestopt. Ik kon er niet meer van genieten. Mijn blog is ook alweer een tijdje weg. Nu werk ik weer wat met phone, wat ik voorheen deed toen ik nog geen morse kon. Ook wel weer leuk. Succes met CW, 73 Paul PAØK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, bedankt voor je reactie. Erg leuk weer eens van je te horen. Ik had al gezien dat je geen blog meer hebt, erg jammer. Ja de mode CW trekt mij wel en ik vind toch dat je als radiozendamateur wel op zijn minst morsecode moet kennen. 73, Bas