Wednesday, 11 November 2015

Loop construction

Testing the wires by soldering them
I always wanted to make a short video from my efforts to build the 80m horizontal loop. But since it already takes hours to build the thing and till now it was always in a hurry that wasn't possible before. I had time enough last Saturday and could finally shoot some video. All this looks easy but the video was made in a 4 hour time span. I used this new antennawire for the first time and thanks to a colleague I had a spool to unwind it easily. Things went smooth and tuning went well. Rain was the only thing I would like to leave out of this project, but what can we do against nature! All connections were made waterproof by polymaxing it.
New word: Polymaxing
Then a final test on air. I did hear 9M6LS from West Malaysia on 20m but was unable to contact him. He was S5-6, same signal strength on the vertical. I then went down to 40m, still daylight. I noticed some difference between signal strength, overall about 3-6dB, sometimes more. On 80m I noticed some more difference, but not what I was used too. I tried PSK on 80m with 10W, things went difficult. JT9 went a lot better with a QSO to UA9CR, over 3000km and still using 10W. Report was -25dB on the edge! I think propagation was not so good because of a CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) from the sun. (This was written last Sunday).


2 comments:

  1. Ik heb al veel soorten kit gebruikt om koppelingen vast te zetten en waterdicht te maken, maar hete lijm uit een lijmpistool bevalt mij nog steeds het beste. Wel eerst alles goed vetvrij maken en dan op de koppeling een leeg kartonnen o.i.d. doosje waar de koppeling in komt en volspuiten met lijm. Oervast en waterdicht.
    73 Hans, PE1BVQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zeker Hans, maar deze rommel moet er ook weer af volgend jaar. En Polymax is super spul. Overal goed voor. 73, Bas

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. Bedankt voor je reactie. 73, Bas