Monday, December 12, 2022

#10m ARRL contest - some video recordings

  Always like to record some interesting signals I heard on 10m this weekend during the contest. Actually one QSO I forgot to record was with 4X1YOTA. I spoke with Shani from Tel Aviv who is 13 years old and we had a small QSO which went very fine. Hopefully it will encourage her to engage in this great hobby. For me this contest is not always about the numbers. I really like to have some interesting QSOs and encounter interesting signals/propagation. You will hear some excellent signals in the video from far way DX both on short as long path. And a festival of echoes for EI7M, I could hardly understand this station. I wonder if he heard those echoes at his side as well...


The Russians, plenty of them in the contest this time. But they don't make themselves very populair. Unfortunately some are raging against them on the DX cluster(s). Really....is this neccessary?
I had a call from a Russian station in the contest were he gave me the progressive number in russian, I asked him to do it in English or German. His answer was "only ruski, only ruski". Why calling at the first place? Interesting though, I have never been called by someone that could only give the exchange in their own language. I would understand numbers in english, german, french, italian and spanish. But other languages will be difficult.

3 comments:

John AE5X said...

Interesting to hear those stations as they sound in PA, Bas - especially 9N7AA. I can only dream!

73,
John

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, very nice video I rarely hear a contest in SSB and it's always very interesting to hear the different effects from propagation.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@John, yes 9N7AA was strong. Have worked him before and he was just as strong then also on 10m. Don't forget I got a 4 element LFA beam which helps a lot.

@Mike, I know you're kind of a CW purist. But SSB has its interesting things as well. I've heard CW with echo like on SSB, I can't imagine someone can decode that. I think in that case SSB is difficult but still readable. At least EI7M had a lot of echo but I could still understand what he says.

73, Bas