Saturday, December 10, 2022

#10m ARRL contest day 1

  Propagation decreased very fast after sunset and around 17 UTC the 10m band was closed, only noise could be heard. But the day started so different. Actually I woke up when it was already light. From previous years I remembered 10m propagation could be a slow start, so I didn't expect much when I switched the radio on at 7:30 UTC. But surprisingly I was late today. First station I heard and worked was VR2XAN from Hong Kong. He was real 59 on SSB. Actually many other DX could be heard. Working Australia, several stations, was no problem. Strangely nothing heard from Japan, China and New Zealand. Although I noticed several stations south of me had no problem to work these countries. 

Click on the map to see a large version - Red=SSB - Green=CW

I took my time to work and listen to the DX. And even had a QSO with fellow blogger OQ5M Franki on backscatter. Lots of echoes on the band. I expected (wished for) some longpath propagation, but it didn't happen unfortunately. Actually I worked less stations as expected, aimed for 100 but it became only 87 today. Also due to disappointed propagation to north america. The ARRL country is known for the amount of participants but I could barely make contacts to the USA and not even to Canada. Besides that you need skills to make contacts on CW, I dont have them (yet). 

Hopefully propagation to that direction will be better tomorrow. If I didn't work you yet, try for me tomorrow ;-).

2 comments:

ON5ZO said...

Hey Bas.
Heel leuk je te werken op de 10m band. Het was niet makkelijk om zo dichtbij te werken (PA+G+F+DL etc). Mocht ik meer tijd hebben gehad, dan had ik een lage dipool bij gehangen voor het dichtere werk.
Zoals ze zeggen: there's always next year.

2022 was echt een laagtepunt voor de hobby hier, zowel radio als blog. Maar goed: next year :o)

Alvast een prettige kerst en tot lezens / horens / werkens.
Franki

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Franki, leuk je te werken. Weet niet of een lage dipool veel zal helpen. Het contact wat ik met je maakte was volgens mij backscatter. Had de beam richting noord-oost staan, bijna met de achterkant naar je toe.

Ja ik zag dat je al een volledig nieuwe shack hebt. Al dat soort dingen kost tijd. Er zal voor mij ook nog wel een tijd komen dat ik wat minder aktief kan zijn. Bij ons staan ook nog allerlei verbouwingen op nominatie.

Zag een leuke foto van je bij aankondiging van ARRL10 door de ARRL op facebook. Volgens mij in de nieuwe shack.

73, Bas