Saturday, November 13, 2021

SEGA Mega Play restoration - power supply

 

  Decided to remove the motherboard to clean and inspect. Insert the new battery on it with emergency repair. So far I don't see any malfunctions. 

Besides that I could test the powersupply and hopefully the high voltage TV monitor screens without damaging the motherboard eventually.





  I managed to power the powersupply through the variac. Slowly increased the voltage on it. So far everything went well. Checked all the voltages and they seem to be correct on all outputs. Can't figure out what the big transformer output is. Also I don't know what it is for exactly? Following wires is almost impossible, it is just one big spagetthi. I noticed safety switches at all the doors, this might be a trigger for supplying voltage to te rest of the equipment.







  Anyway, I decided to measure light fitting voltages first. Fittings are there, bulbs are gone! Assuming these could be 12V car lights but could not measure any DCV on it. Could be ACV of course. Then I touched the frame when measuring one of the poles by accident. Everything went dark....

I stopped for today....will have another a try tommorow.

2 comments:

MØYKS Simon said...

Looks like an interesting challenge! Hope you manage to get it working, It looks pretty cool indeed and would be fun to have a go once its working. Have fun!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Had a quick switch on with the motherboard connected today Simon, unfortunately nothing happened. Only some noise from the speakers and a light at the coin insert. I suspect I still missed a safety switch somewere.
Need to find out what I missed. Also the LED on the motherboard is not switched on? So I suspect there is no power on the motherboard. 73, Bas