Friday, February 28, 2020

VP8PJ South Orkney Isl. worked on 60m

VP8PJ from South Orkney is quite strong on 60m the last few days. I've seen a lucky contact from my neighbourstation PA4O but didn't have luck myself. Imagine as soon as VP8PJ calls on 60m at least 50 or more stations are calling him at the same time. The trick is to find a open spot in the waterfall that is open on their side as well. And then you need luck to get on top in their CQ callers list.....not easy since that is random. What I actually want to tell is that you need just plain luck to work this station. It has nothing to do with power, large antenna or operating skills (although it always helps) you just need to call and hope VP8PJ will reply....


Did I have luck...? Yes I did....

Good luck to all that want to make the contact and didn't succeed yet. 
Perserverance will do the trick, and a whole lot of luck!

4 comments:

VE9KK said...

Excellent work Bas, I was on 60m this evening and it was very crowed with callers. I am still not to sure how to do split on FT8, so I just left it for now. In my spare time I am going to do some reading and watch some YouTube on how it's done.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

John AE5X said...

Congrats Bas - that's a great catch for 60m!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, you probabely missed my previous post about FT8 (Hints for FT8 operators). "It’s easy to do, You simply Shift Click on the waterfall to move your TX frequency (in JTDX hold CTRL + click on the waterfall).

Good luck! 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I'm happy with the contact John, didn't have time to catch them on other bands yet. Will try probabely at the end of the DXpedition when it gets quieter in the waterfall. 73, Bas