Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Solution found for the USBlink VOX data modem problem

Eureka! The red
LED proves TX
is finally working!
Last year I got the idea from Julian G4ILO's blog to build myself a USBlink vox data modem that is ideal for portable use. The idea was to make a kind of usb stick so I would only have to use one cable to connect to the radio. Unfortenately I didn't get the modem to work, you can read my post about it here. I know how components should behave and what they are doing, but I don't know a thing about designing or changing a circuit. Luckely enough there are a lot of people amongst radio amateurs that know a lot more about these things. So, I posted my problem into a Dutch HAM radio forum and got a answer from Fred PA4TIM  who was able to analyse and simulate the circuit. He told me that the circuit wouldn't work without a resistor at the collector of the Q1 transistor. He suggested a 2K2 resistor which I tried and it worked. Remains the question why it worked without this resistor at Julian's modem? Anyway, the modem is working now and is ready for test on the radio. But since I don't have that much time it probabely will have to wait till winter.


Simulation of the circuit by PA4TIM
Small 2K2 resistor inserted
Afgelopen jaar kwam ik via het blog van Julian G4ILO op het idee om een USBlink VOX datamodem te bouwen dat ideaal zou zijn voor portabel gebruik. Het idee was om er een soort USB stick van te maken zodat ik maar 1 kabel nodig had voor het aansluiten op de radio. Helaas kreeg ik het ding niet aan de praat, hier kan je mijn schrijven vinden hierover. Ik weet ongeveer wat bepaalde componenten moeten doen maar heb geen idee hoe je een werkend circuit ontwerpt, laat staan dat ik er wat aan kan veranderen zodat iets werkt. Gelukkig zijn er onder zendamateurs veel mensen die er een stuk meer van af weten dan ik, dus heb ik mijn probleem geplaatst op het HAM radio forum. Hier kwam ik in contact met PA4TIM Fred die het schema kon analyseren en simuleren. Hieruit bleek dat dit schema absoluut niet kon werken zonder een collector weerstand aan  transistor Q1. Fred suggereerde een 2K2 weerstand er tussen te solderen en inderdaad het werkt. Blijft de vraag waarom het bij Julian wel werkte?  Maar goed het modem werkt nu alleen moet ik hem nog testen aan de radio en inbouwen in een behuizing. Aangezien het me natuurlijk weer aan tijd ontbreekt zal dat wel iets voor in de winter worden.

6 comments:

Tjeerd, PA3GNZ said...

Hallo Bas,

Is dit op veroboard gebouwd?

73, Tjeerd

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Tjeerd, moest even kijken wat veroboard ook alweer was. Ja het is op veroboard gebouwd, het type waarbij elk soldeereilandje afzonderlijk is. 73, Bas

Tjeerd, PA3GNZ said...

Bas,

Ja, dat heb ik hier ook.

Volgens mij is veroboard met banen, zoals dit. http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Prac/vero_circ/vero.htm

73, Tjeerd

Unknown said...

I think the resistor was there in the original circuit by KH6TY that I based it on but I made a mistake when I re-drew it. If you click on the schematic on my USBlink web page the larger version that loads does show the resistor. So what may have happened is that when I corrected the error I forgot that there was a smaller version on the website and never updated it. Sorry!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Tjeerd, je hebt gelijk. Misschien is dat wel handiger? Waar kun je dat krijgen. Dit type wat jij ook hebt komt bij Conrad vandaan.

@Julian, I can't/couldn't find the original diagram anymore. I see that the wrong one is still on your website then? A update would be nice for future builders...I'm glad the modem does work now though.

73, Bas

Tjeerd, PA3GNZ said...

Ik ga bij Conrad kijken.

73, Tjeerd