Saturday, November 18, 2023

3 new DXCC in one day

 


I have to say, in the past I only worked a few or even no new DXCC in a whole year. Propagation is really good these days at the top of the solarcycle. And yes, FT8 gives a great boost for the DX hunter. Today was a day with low A and K index which promises very good propagation. In the past week, after work and chores at home, I tried many times for TX7L and ZL7A. Not really hearing much from those stations actually. So I really wanted to try for these in the weekend before the DXpeditions are over. It is just not really easy to work them, not even with FT8. Both DXCC are near the time line in the Pacific Ocean. I anticipated my highest chance would be my morning greyline which would be around 7 UTC in the morning. I was up early long before the greyline was arriving and TX7L could be decoded sometimes already. I had to wait, and wait, and wait. Around 6:30 UTC his signal was increasing but still low about -22. I started calling but it took till almost 7 UTC before I finally got a response, I was in the log on 40m. Through the day I listened if I could hear TX7L on other bands but haven't heard this station again, just to show you how difficult this direction is. ZL7A was the next station I aimed for. He was very loud on 30m but on a normal FT8 frequency which is of course over crowded. I tried for over an hour but without success. I went to look out for other DX around the bands. Then suddenly I saw ZL7A spotted on a 30m DXpedition frequency. So I decided to try it again. This time I was lucky after about 15 minutes. After that I was happy I worked 2 new DXCC in one day and yesterday I already worked a new one with PR0T (Trindade&Martim Vaz). I decided to do some DX on 10m, it just opened. I worked some Chinese stations and was lucky to beat the pile-up to XW4DX (Laos) on SSB. I left the radio on 10m and returned in the afternoon to work some USA/Canada. I noticed the H44WA DXpedition (Solomons) were active on 30m. I really did not expect it but actually they were quite strong and after a few minutes I was in the log. I was surprised by this 3rd new DXCC in one day! About a half hour later I worked H44WA again on 20m FT8.

4 comments:

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, that is a great time on the radio for sure. Congrats on the 3 new DXCC contacts.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, tnx for your comment. No CW that day, but today I worked 4W8X on 30 CW. However with the computer and not by ear yet. You can work DX every day right now. The possebilities are almost unlimited, there is always one band that is open. 73, Bas

John AE5X said...

I see you worked 4W8X on 30m CW - fantastic!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, working a DXpedition on CW is not that hard. I recognise my own call in all speeds. The IC-7300 has an internal keyer for transmission, the only thing you have to program is your own call and 5NN TU. Everyone can do this without knowing CW. I always try to work a DXpeditions in CW or SSB. 4W8X and XW4DX have excellent signals. Much better as TX7L and ZL7A which I did barely hear. The question is....which is more challenging? 73, Bas