Friday, June 3, 2022

PA3FXT's PKW 6m yagi

 Neighbourstation PA3FXT Reinder requested some info on his aquired used 6m 5 element yagi made by PKW. Information could not be found on the internet. Boomlength, radiators/dipole length and diameter were known but not the position of all elements on the boom. I told him it would be possible to calculate and optimize the yagi with yagimax. Yagimax is quite an old piece of software that is only running in MS-DOS, so you need some software that emulates MS-DOS. I found DOSBox and it works well. I guess there are far more superior software programs out now but in my opinion they are not easy to use. Yagimax is quite easy. You have an option to maximize gain or f/b ratio just by moving radiators and dipole on the boom. So that's what I did. I f/b optimized the antenna for use between 50 and 50,6 MHz at 2 wl above groundlevel. I tried optimizing gain but got only 2 more dB and f/b ratio decreased dramatically. This are the results:








I used this software many years ago and think it is accurate. But I can't really verify if theory matches with practise. Reinder will have to find out by building and testing his yagi. Hopefully it will work like advertized.

No comments: