Tuesday, February 1, 2022

100 DXCC with 1W WSPR


  After 13 years of WSPRing I finally reached 100 DXCC with 1W output power. I think I could have done it a few years ago but was not very active on WSPR the last few years. Although listed as nr. 99 in my WSPR DXCC list EA9UV from Cueta (Cueta&Melilla) was the 100th DXCC that received my 1W signal on 40m this morning.

I started this WSPR DXCC list immidiatly when I first heard of this very sensitive mode in 2009. As an avid DXer I thought it would be not that difficult despite the low power of 1W. However, the challenge is not a case of being heard but the number of DXCC with a WSPR receiver on air. Over the years the number of WSPR transmitters has been exploded but less HAMs or SWLs are receiving 24/7 on WSPR or even receiving at all. That counts especially for exotic DXCC. First years I had to look at the WSPR database table manually, the task is still manual but I can look at a worldmap in 2022. Which makes the task easier. Still there is no one that has made a possebility to substract DXCC from the WSPR database yet as far as I know.

Over the years my 1W signal was heard at exotic places. To name some: Afghanistan, Antarctica, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Kenya, Kyrghystan, Macquarie Isl., Singapore, Wake Isl., Sierra Leone, Maldives, Seychelles and many more. A complete list can be found on my WSPR DXCC page.

These days the output power of most stations is 0,2W because of some populair WSPR transmitters. Is it possible being heard with just 200mW in 100 DXCC? Yes, I think it is possible. But you need to have patience, athough I think these days it is easier as at the start in 2009. Who takes the challenge?

6 comments:

John, EI7GL said...

Well done Bas!

It raises the question if there is any real difference between a DXCC via the ARRL with QSL cards, LOTW & $$ and a DXCC via WSPR??

I think it is up to each individual but I think a WSPR DXCC is just as valid.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, this is just a personal challenge. I don't really care about ARRL, LOTW, QSL cards and awards. Really, you can work every DXCC in the world, pay a huge amount of $ for confirmation and awards and then you die. So, tell me who cares after a life full of DX? Just like you wrote, it is up to each individual. For me every DXCC counts, QSL or no QSL. It's just a hobby. For me this is a real accomplishment, just like for others making it into the DXCC honour roll. 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, ja ik ben ook al sinds 2009 actief met wspr. Blijf het mijn favoriete mode. Ik ben voorlopig ook gestopt met WSPRLite omdat ik dan alleen aan het zenden ben en niet ontvang. Ja, met 200mW kan je ook de wereld rond komen, zeker als we in de pike van de solar flux zitten. 100 DXCC is mooi. Ik heb het niet meer bijgehouden hoeveel ik heb ontvangen of waar ik gehoord ben. Ik ben te lui voor dat soort werk, ik zou willen dat, net als logbooks, het automatisch wordt bijgehouden. Bij qrz.com logboek kan ik zien hoeveel DXCC heb gewerkt. Lastig is dat ik steeds van call ben veranderd. Dus verschillende logs heb. 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, je kan tegenwoordig al van alles bekijken. Ook vergelijkingen maken net als met de WSPRlite maar dan ook met RX. Maar tot nu toe heb ik nog nergens gezien dat men de DXCCs uit de database kan halen. Zou wel mooi zijn. Ik heb alles bijgehouden maar kan het verder niet bewijzen. Heb alleen maar mijn logs. 73, Bas

Jan, OZ9QV said...

Nicely done, Bas!
For me. I have mostly done RX mode in the weak signal modes, for propagation monitoring purposes.
Vy 72, Jan, OZ9QV (ook PA9QV)

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Jan, propagation monitoring is just one of the things you're able to do with a mode like WSPR. I'd like to collect DXCC spots. Not so many do that, at least I don;t know them. 73, Bas