Monday, September 27, 2021

#CQWW RTTY 2021 - running into issues

Event: CQWW RTTY contest 2021

Section: Low SOAB
Logger: N1MM+ 
Station: Icom IC-7300
Antenna 1: Homemade vertical with ATU @16m
Antenna 2: 10m LFA @14m
Antenna 4: 2x20m inverted-V doublet apex @12m



 The RTTY contest, you really have to love it or hate it. The mode is ancient, the technology in use these days to work RTTY mode in a contest is quite sophisticated. If you don't contest often, like me, you probabely run into some issues once and a while. And I did this time. This is what happened already at the first QSO:


What? Can't log the contact, am I missing something.... So I wrote avid neighbour contester PA4O Peter for help but at first he couldn't think of a thing that helped. I tried to start the computer again, the software again, made a new log, made a new database....really I tried an older N1MM+ version. Nothing helped. It was late saturday evening and I decided to stop after a few QSO because it wasn't fun, I couldn't log any american stations. I also decided to call for help in the N1MM+ io groups. And got a lot of suggestions from people. Till John K3CT wrote something about an UDC file, that triggered something and Peter PA4O wrote me if I still used the country and UDC file from the last PACC. And yes I did....


If you ever run into the same issue. Try to install the latest country file. It solved my problem...

My own stupid fault? No, I don't think that way...N1MM+ is packed with too many options. I'm shure we need everything but it doesn't make things easy...the support, however, is fantastic!

Because of antenna work Saturday I actually made most QSOs on Sunday. Testing a new concept antenna was my priority. The only QSO on 10m was made with ZX2B by the way..
Most time was spend on 15m which was in excellent shape.


Notice: flag colour: yellow=10m, light blue=15m, dark blue=20m, green=40m, red=80m
Click on this map to view a more detailed one.

No comments: