Tuesday, September 15, 2020

WSPR DX hunt

Paul PA0K wrote about this DX station  and how his 200mW signal was received there yesterday. Well, I'm writing about S79RP from the Seychelles and found that Paul actually was heard last Sunday around 16:58 UTC. Since it is a new one DXCC on WSPR for Paul and also for me I had to hunt it for my WSPR DXCC list.

So, I thought about setting up my 1W WSPR station again. The only time I had was early in the morning before going to the job. I figured 15 minutes was enough. I would not be returning to the shack before 19 UTC due to other duties. The FT-817 did fine, computer started. But I couldn't find my CAT control box. So I was unable to do TX via CAT control.  I decided to connect my old PSK-10 digimodem with VOX control. It did fine but now I didn't get any power output. 15 minutes were over and I had to go to my job. So, I quickly decided I would put my IC-7300 on 1% and started JTDX with WSPR. It would not do 1W but about 800mW this time, but who knows....it's not that much difference and Paul did it with only 200mW. I did use the inverted-V antenna.

The result at the end of the day is 73 unique spots TXing with 1W. I reported 130 unique stations.

WSPR 1W TX spots

That includes a new WSPR DXCC for my list:

A first new WSPR DXCC for 2020. Hopefully there will be a few more to follow! The power issue with the FT-817 was solved when I was on my way to my job this morning....I forgot that there is a difference between USB and USB-D. 


2 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, dat is een mooi resultaat. Vooral Alaska, die staat nog steeds op mijn wensen lijst. 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Alaska is dichter bij als de Seychelles, zou toch moeten lukken Paul. Maar het pad is moeilijker, over de noordpool zo een beetje. 73, Bas