Monday, September 26, 2011

CQWW RTTY 2011 with open 10m band


First of all you all probabely think I lost my mind and did paste the wrong photo. But it is just to show you that I did not contest the whole weekend as that would be absurd. We had the finest weather since weeks or actually months. So we took Anneli for some nice cycling in the morning and a walk in the Eemshaven in the afternoon. Well, besides the nice weather we all enjoyed I did some RTTY in the CQWW-RTTY contest. Luckely my computer has been repaired, it was the power supply that failed just like I thought. Unfortenately my colleague's computer had a broken motherboard. So after all the hardware conspiracy I thought of was just a case of coincidence. Anyway, I had to install N1MM contestlogger again and immidiatly encountered a problem. The DXcluster frequencies did not match those of my receiver, I knew I had that problem before but forgot the solution. After a few minutes of trying and making some QSOs I finally found the simple solution: in the digital interface -> setup -> Turn autoTRX Update on. Now I was finally ready to go, although it was already evening. The strange thing was it was really quiet on 20m, I mean not as crowded as usual with this kind of contest. I probabely discovered why, the 10 mtr band was wide open. I really can't remember that I made so many 10 Mtr DX QSO since I am on HF at the end of 2005. I remember my first USA QSO in 2007, but that was with my 6 element log-per antenna on the versatower. Now, I'm only using my Alu tape vertical on a temporarely mast. What can I tell I spend most of my contesting time on 10 Mtr, it was incredible. I finally made 122 QSOs not that much as last year, about 40% were made on the 10 Mtr band. I made 16 QSOs /10 diffirent states with the USA only on 10 Mtr and that was not the best DX yet. Here some DX results:


40m: OJ0X (Market Reef)
20m: P49X (Aruba)
15m: VP9I (Bermuda), NP4BM (Puerto Rico), YV5AAX (Venezuela)
10m: JH4UTP (Japan), 4J9M (Azerbaijan), LR9D (Argentina), PT5T (Brazil), UN8LWF (Kazakhstan), RG9A (Asiatic Russia), NR4M (USA), HI3TEJ (Dominican Rep.), OD5PL (Lebanon), 6V7X (Senegal), PZ5RA (Surinam), 5K3R (Colombia), CE3PG (Chile), VE3RTU (Canada), P49X (Aruba)


A analysis can be found here / Een overzicht vind je hier


Allereerst zullen jullie wel denken dat ik totaal in de war ben en dat ik de verkeerde foto op deze pagina heb geplakt. Maar dat valt wel mee. Het is maar om te laten zien dat ik met het mooie weer van afgelopen weekend echt niet de hele tijd aan het contesten ben gegaan. 's Morgens hebben we eerst lekker een heel eind gefietst met Anneli en 's middags hebben we nog gewandeld op de pier in de Eemshaven. Maar goed naast het mooie weer was er ook weer RTTY in het CQWW RTTY contest van dit jaar. Gelukkig is mijn computer weer klaar, het was inderdaad een kapotte voeding zoals ik al dacht. Helaas liep het voor mijn collega minder goed af, die had een kapot moederbord. Dus wat ik dacht over een samenzwering bleek achteraf gewoon toeval te zijn. Ik moest nog even snel N1MM contestlogger installeren en liep direct al tegen een probleem op, de DXcluster frequenties liepen niet gelijk met de ontvangst van mijn Icom. Gelukkig vond ik na enige minuten de oplossing: in Digital interface -> setup -> Turn autoTRX Update aan. Eindelijk kon ik nu aan het contesten al was het ondertussen al wel avond. Het aparte was dathet vrij rustig was op 20m, niet zo heel erg druk als anders met dit soort contesten. Waarom kwam ik al snel achter, de 10 Mtr band was open en hoe! Ik kan me niet herinneren dat ik zoveel 10 Mtr DX QSO's gemaakt heb sinds ik vanaf eind 2005 op HF zit. In 2007 maakte ik mijn eerste QSO met de USA op 10 Mtr maar dan wel met een 6 elements log-per antenne op de versatower. Nu werk ik met een eenvoudige verticale antenne van Alu folie op een nood mastje, dat is heel wat anders. Wat kan ik er over vertellen, ik maakte 122 QSO's de helft minder dan vorig jaar. 40% van de tijd werkte ik op 10Mtr en maakte o.a. 16 QSO's /10 verschillende staten met de USA en dat was nog niet eens de beste DX. Zie het lijstje hierboven.

8 comments:

KL8DX said...

One for the record books here, Bas! Best fun I have had on 10 meters since moving to Alaska! Let's hope for more my friend. Good DX'n!

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, er zitten weer hele mooie dx tussen. Gelukkig is je PC weer ok. Ik heb al twee keer ooit een kapotte voeding van mijn PC gehad. Er gaat standaard vaak een te lichte voeding in. 73 Paul

Anonymous said...

Ik heb dezelfde ervaring Bas. Aantal firsts gemaakt op 10 m dit weekend. Ging zo eenvoudig in RTTY. Heb ook o.m. ook P49X. Verdere first op 10: LU, FG, JA, VU, OD, UN en K1. Zonneactiviteit hoog mbt geomagnetisme (storm) en rontgenstraling (M class fire). Zonnevlekken getal momenteel niet extreem maar niet slecht (108 vandaag).
73 have fun
Ron, PA2RF

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Phil, from your blog I read you had a lot of fun. It's a pity we didn't meet on 10 this time. But we will in the future that is for shure.

@Paul, de DX was te gek, al heb ik er ook heel wat gemist. Kun je je voorstellen als ik gebruik kon maken van een beam!! Wat betreft die voeding, ik denk dat het komt door de extra's op de USB poorten zoals de radio besturing, de USB poorten worden constant gevoed ook als ik de computer uitzet. Maar er is dan geen koeling. Ik moet me gewoon aanleren de spanning er af te zetten. Daarbij komt natuurlijk ook nog het gebruik voor WSPR waarbij de computer soms 48 uur achter elkaar aanstaat. Wat dat betreft zijn de voedingen vooral qua koeling ook altijd te klein. Er zit nu 1 in van 350W.

@Ron, Er was inderdaad veel te werken en vrij eenvoudig. Ik heb VU wel gezien net als XE, helaas niet kunnen werken. Zie dat je FG ook hebt. Tja je moet ook op het juiste moment voor de radio kunnen zitten. En voor mij was dat een beetje moeilijk. Heb een paar uur kunnen meedoen. Vind de score nog heel aardig.

73, Bas

PD7BZ said...

Hi Bas,
Yes we were very lucky during the CQ WW RTTY.The 10M band was wide open both days.
For me the score came out at 636 QSO's...and 200 at the 10M band.For me the best propagation since i got the licence,April 2006.

Best DX for me was Guam...big new one.Also loads of NA,SA,AF and AS.

73's Bernard

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Bernard, thanks for your comment it has been a long time. I wish we lived more close together. I guess you spend a lot more time behind the radio then me doing some hard work 'wow' more then 600 QSO is a lot. Remember our first difficult QSOs with the USA back in 2007 Bernard. I didn't forget who was with me on 10m then....it was you. 73, Bas

HamRadioIreland said...

Some nice DX there Bas, well done. Glad you enjoyed it and that you found some time for Amelia too!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Anthony, tnx. I always find it struggle to get to the radio. There are so many other things in life. By the way, don't confuse our little princess with one of the royals Princess Amalia here ;-) 73, Bas