Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Amateur radio thoughts

1,8W solar panel
I have to admit that my thoughts are very much about radio. Why? I don't know, I got this radio illness since 1979 and I guess it cannot be cured. My XYL tells me sometimes that I only think about radio and antennas, of course that is not true. I think about 50-70% of the time about radio related only. I always have ideas and dreams about the radio hobby and sometimes I have the time to actually try some of them. If I had enough time I probabely spend just that much in front of the radio, but I got some other responsebilities. Since the easy access to internet and all the information of the world I even got more ideas then ever. My interest in electronics grew when I got my soldering iron into CB rigs, there was no CB rig that wouldn't break under my hands. And so I soon got the nickname "wrecker". But of course I learned a lot till the point that people actually brought their broken rigs for repair. I'm not the miracle wonder repairman at all but can say that I managed to repair a lot of those rigs. I think the "alpha" channel modification that got those CB rigs to the missing channels in between was a miracle to me and triggered my interest into electronics. I actually studied electronics for a while but stopped with it after a while. I finally got a job in the repair business, but that is another story. 


Fast connecting system
Well, to get back at the topic I read a lot about kits in the blogs of G4ILO and AE5X lately. Sometimes more interesting then sometimes not really. Building these kits is not that difficult I think so I got interested in building again. Especially the W5OLF WSPR TX kit was really in my mind and till my surprise I found a e-mail in my mailbox last week from Jay that he read my comment at Julian's blog and that he still is selling these kits. So I immidiatly ordered a kit and a Gymboss timer at the same day. Now, I hope I have some time left to build this kit. I actually spend some minutes for small projects. I got irritated as I forgot to switch off the power supply to my antenna tuner, when it is on for weeks and I'm not on the radio it is still consuming power and as a result money. So I bought a cheap 12V 7Ah battery and a small 1,8W solar panel to charge it. If I am going to be on the radio I will connect the tuner to the battery now. If I forget to disconnect the battery will be discharged. It is not perfect but will do for the time being. Then I invented a fast conector system for my FT817 power supply. I can easily plug to my power suply in the shack, the 12V car connector and clamps for a battery now. This is done with special "chocolate blocs" found at a nearby shop. I think the power supply cable for the FT817 is a little thin by the way. I did read in the blog from PA3GNZ I believe for a while ago that he couldn't get 5W out of his FT817 when connected to the car 12V connector. I had the same experience when I was QRP in the Eemshaven. Voltage dropped to 11V when TXing. So that is something to look after. Then my thoughts about antennas, I still have a old rotor under my VHF/UHF  vertical that has to be removed. I would like to use it for the forthcoming balloon fox hunt held next weekend at Sundays. If possible I like to use it to turn my VHF/UHF Maspro beam with a little elevation on a tripod. And then the 10m ARRL contest in December, I dream of a 10m high scaffolding in the garden for that weekend to put my 5 element 10m beam on. Well I keep dreaming and thinking....


Special connectors
Ik moet bekennen dat mijn gedachten vaak bij het radio gebeuren zijn. Waarom weet ik niet maar ik heb die radio ziekte al sinds 1979 en ik denk niet dat er een medicijn voor is. Mijn XYL zegt wel eens dat ik alleen aan radio en antenne's denk, dat is natuurlijk niet zo. Maar ik schat wel 50-70% van de tijd. Ik heb altijd allerlei ideeën en dromen over de radiohobby en heel soms probeer ik die wel eens uit, vroeger misschien wel meer als nu. Als ik tijd genoeg had zou ik waarschijnlijk ook net zoveel tijd daadwerkelijk in radio stoppen, maar ik heb ook andere verantwoordelijkheden. Maar sinds internet makkelijk toegankelijk is heb ik wel meer ideeën dan vroeger, waar je ook aan denkt internet heeft altijd informatie. Dat was rond 1979 wel anders, alles moest toen uit boeken komen en van wat anderen er over konden zeggen. Mijn interesse in electronica ging met stappen vooruit toen ik begon te prutsen met 27MC bakkies, geen bakkie kon ik heel houden en mijn bijnaam was al gauw "de sloper". Natuurlijk heb ik er ook veel van geleerd tot het punt waarbij mensen mij spullen ter reparatie aanboden. Nu ben ik geen wonderbaarlijke reparateur, maar heb destijds toch heel wat kunnen maken. Het meest wonderbaarlijke toen vond ik toch wel het modificeren van een bakkie naar "alpha" kanalen ofwel de standaard ontbrekende kanalen tussen de bestaande kanalen in, de extra 6 kanalen waren door mij en buurtstations druk in gebruik. Voor mij was die modificatie een openbaring en iets waar ik zeker meer van wou weten. Er werd begonnen met een studie electronica die ik helaas nooit heb afgemaakt. Uiteindelijk ben ik wel in de reparatie terecht gekomen, maar dat is weer een ander verhaal. Nu dwaal ik toch weer af van het onderwerp. 


De laatste tijd lees ik steeds vaker wat van AE5X en G4ILO over diverse kits. Sommige interessanter dan andere. Het bouwen van zoiets is in feite niet moeilijk, het afregelen vaak weer wel zonder de juiste apparatuur. Maar natuurlijk is mijn interesse gewekt en liep ik alweer een tijdje met de gedachte om toch eens zo een leuke kit te kopen en dan met name de W5OLF WSPR TX kit. Nou vond ik tot mijn verbazing een e-mail van Jay in mijn mailbox dat hij ze nog steeds verkocht en dat hij mijn reactie had gelezen op de site van Julian. Ik heb dus direct maar een kit besteld + een gymboss timer, ben benieuwd of ik er uiteindelijk tijd voor heb om het project in elkaar te zetten. Tijd heb ik wel gemaakt voor wat kleine projectjes, zo irriteerde mij het mateloos dat ik steeds vergeet de voeding van de antennetuner uit te zetten. Op jaar basis kost dat natuurlijk geld en dus dacht ik eens te experimenteren met een accu geladen door een zonnepaneel. Ik kocht een goedkope 12V 7Ah accu en een zonnepaneel van 1,8W om het te laden. Als ik daadwerkelijk gebruik maak van de radio sluit ik de antenne tuner op de accu aan, vergeet ik het los te halen is de accu op gegeven moment wel leeg. Helaas kost een zwaarder zonnepaneel om de accu bij te laden inclusief continu voeding voor de tuner waar dan ook weer een regelaar bij moet wel iets meer, maar dat is dan weer iets om over te dromen nietwaar. Verder heb ik een snelkoppeling bedacht voor mijn FT817 voedingssnoer. Ik kan nu snel ompluggen naar stekker voor de auto, accu of direct op de voeding in de shack. Het snelkoppel blokje komt uit de bouwmarkt en het leek me wel een handig systeem zo. Overigens heb ik wel het idee dat het originele voedingssnoer wat aan de dunne kant is. Ik verwonderde mij er eens over een schrijven volgens mij van PA3GNZ waarbij de spanning onder de 12V kwam bij het zenden met 5W terwijl de set via de auto 12V stekker gevoed was. Het viel mij op dat het bij mij ook zo was toen ik QRP in de Eemshaven aktief was. Daar moet ik ook eens mee bezig. Verder denk ik alweer aan de antenne's. Ik heb nog een rotor onder mijn W2000 VHF/UHF vertical zitten en die moet er eigenlijk tussenuit. Dan kan ik hem gebruiken voor de komende ballonvossenjacht van het weekend (11 Sept.) om mijn dualband VHF/UHF Maspro yagi op te zetten met een klein beetje elevatie. Dan de 10m ARRL contest in december, ik zit te denk aan een steiger van een 10m hoog om voor dat weekend de 5 elements 10m yagi te plaatsen. Ach, veel van de ideeën zullen wel dromen blijven....

6 comments:

John AE5X said...

Hi Bas,

I just received my GymBoss 2 days ago. Yesterday I took it apart and performed the surgery described in Julian's blog and attached it to the WSPR transmitter.

I tested it into a dummy load and won't have a chance to put it on the air for another day or two but it seems like a good way to automate the WSPR rig and is simple enough to re-wire (although the parts are small).

And you're right - I have been blogging a lot about kits lately...I think that is a symptom of summer QRN - less radio, more building & tinkering.

Tjeerd, PA3GNZ said...

Leuk verhaal Bas,

Toch zou ik over een virus schrijven en niet een ziekte.

Inderdaad heb ik vorig jaar geschreven over het voeden van de FT817nd vanuit de sigarettenaansteker. Hier moet ik nog eens mee aan de gang. Het kan zijn dat het voedingssnoer naar de set te dun is, waardoor er een spanningsval ontstaat.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@John, I'm very curious about your results with the Gymboss. I hope I will receive the kit + timer soon.

As for the kit buidling, well I did a lot of different things within the radio hobby. But kit building is actually new for me. I think it is really fun.

@Tjeerd, een virus gaat vanzelf een keer over. Ik denk dat dit meer chronisch is, niets aan te doen. Maar misschien stoot ik wel iemand voor het hoofd met zo een uitspraak? Ik denk ook dat het snoer te dun is. Maar het gekke is dat ik er met de voeding in de shack geen last van heb. Zou het ook nog iets met RF inslag kunnen zijn. In dat geval zou misschien wat ferriet kunnen helpen.

73, Bas

Tjeerd, PA3GNZ said...

Bas,

Je hoort vaker ik ben besmet met het "radiovirus".
Maak je geen zorgen, mij stoot je niet voor het hoofd.

Wat betreft het voeden uit de accu, hier ga ik nog mee experimenteren.

John AE5X said...

Bas, I did get the GymBoss wired to the WSPR transmitter today and am WSPRing right now.

A few things for you to keep in mind:

1) P2 on the circuit board is labeld as "P3" on the schematic
2) The middle "Start" pin on P2 is *not* where you attach the signal from the GymBoss - attach it to the left most of the 3 pins!
3) The ground wire from the GymBoss of course goes to ground on the transmitter - but neither of the other 2 pins on P2 is ground.

73,

John AE5X

PE4BAS, Bas said...

John, thanks for the tips I keep it in mind. I've seen the list of stations that received you in the WSPRnet database, incredible! 73, Bas