Thursday, July 9, 2020

JW7QIA Svalbard worked on 6

Finally made a QSO with JW7QIA from Svalbard. I did see him last month and was spotted, but no QSO. This time he was unbelievable strong. QSO was easy. I know he's having 4m capabilities as well including a antenna. So far I did not see him on 4m. But the season is not over, anything can happen. Svalbard is special to the Dutch since the Dutchman Willem Barentz did discover the Island in 1596 and named it Spitsbergen. Actually the main and largest Island is still called Spitsbergen. The name came from the dutch language "spitse bergen" translated "pointed mountains" because that is what Willem saw from the Island.








From the QRZ page I notice that he's using a IC-7300 now. Same radio I use. Don't know what antenna he's using but it works well...propagation was good as well of course. Antenna pointing about 0-5 degrees north.



4 comments:

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, very nice contact and I looked up this place on Wiki, and they have a seed vault. It's a very interesting place and all the seeds of the world are stored there.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Interesting information for shure Mike. I knew there was a seed vault somewere but didn't know it is on Svalbard. Tnx...73, Bas

Photon said...

Very good! I see the stations calling Svalbard, but so far, he is not received here. That's the way it goes with 6m...

Jan, OZ9QV said...

Congratulations with jw on 6m !
I have seen JW once or twice on 6m, but I was not there to work it.
One day...