Friday, December 27, 2019

VHF / UHF FT8 activity

When PA4GB Gerrie (my closest HAMradio neighbour) visited our workshop today at my job I realized there are other topics within our radio hobby besides HF. Personally I'm almost only writing about HF, it's my passion and in my opinion it contains the magic I'm personally looking for. However, there is so much more. I know Gerrie is more into UHF and even SHF, he has the capability to work via QO-100 sat and does more experiments with that. Could it be I miss something? Well I don't know? But it might be interesting to enter this new open contest on VHF/UHF FT8.

http://www.ft8activity.eu

It seems this is a Romanian based site. I have to say it looks good. You can upload your log, there is a good and clear description. It is a short contest round of 3 hours (17-20UTC) every month. It seems you can view results instantly. Looks very promising...

The whole intention is to generate more activity on VHF/UHF. I doubt if it will help but I think this will always attract some stations. Unfortunately the IC-7300 does not have 144/432 MHz, but my small FT-817 has. Just for curiousity I might take part at some time....at the ES season this summer?

4 comments:

John, EI7GL said...

The problem with Sp-E on 144 MHz is that it is really hit or miss. Try using FT8 on 144 MHz any evening when there is high pressure. Even a good vertical up high will get you results. Expect to see signals 500kms or more away.

Photon said...

I agree with John. The strange thing is that many stations seem simply to be listening without anyone in attendance to reply when the signals get through. The DX possibilities are certainly interesting, to the extent I've bought a 200W amp and a good Yagi for the summer. Transatlantic? Well, I will try...

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I really have no idea about 2m propagation actually. But I know sometimes it does has a lift with ES and tropo. It has been a long time I was on 2m with real good propagation. This contest could be interesting though. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, I think with a good antenna and excellent location it is possible to make record distances. It would be a blast if you managed to contact a Canadian station on 2m, I think with your location and knowledge about propagation it could be possible. 73, Bas