Friday, December 13, 2019

#10m #FT8 HamAlert & almost 30 years ago

SFI:71 SN:0 A:4 K:0

I'm shure many will not be contesting on 10m this weekend. We are (almost) at the bottom of the solarcycle. The propagation on 10m is the worst since years. Only the die-hards, the fighters, those that don't take any contact for granted will take part this year. It will be hard, but we all know miracles can happen. There is something called winter ES, and it could happen any time around mid december....

But not today...


And still my ODX was 9284km....I received ZY4F at about 17:38 UTC. But PSKreporter doesn't show. Not the first time, PSKreporter doesn't spot everything.

I started monitoring at 6 UTC again and like the previous days I threw out a few CQs, and was spotted in Germany and France. Could it be meteorscatter? At lunchbreak I logged in via remote from my job to try some 10m FT8 again. I saw RA2FL from Kaliningrad was spotted.....again. I really would like to know what his setup is? I can find few info on this station on the internet. I didn't manage to reach him but then another magic thing happened, another memorable contact was made with PD3LPA Louwrens from Maassluis....

You could think, that's the Netherlands what's so special? It's only 300km distance or something like that. Actually I was not aware of the QSO being so special till I searched for the call on QRZ.com.
Louwrens is a new licensed radioamateur but has been bitten by the radio bug long time ago. We have made a contact long ago when we both were 11m pirate radio operators and there was no FT8. We did it on SSB on 27MHz at 20-Dec-1989 almost 30 years ago. It was a memorable contact as we both remember it was a 59 contact even on that skip distance, propagation was completely different from what it is now of course...I also made a recording back then. Can't find it right now but know Louwrens has it as well. It is strange we know each other from radio, we spoke each other 30 years ago and still are busy with this great hobby. I never met Louwrens in real life and he's living at the other side of the Netherlands, we both have a complete different life  but are still connected. Something that makes this hobby special...

I have to mention, the last couple of days I was spotted by PB7Z Bernard....well, same story....we made contacts almost 30 years ago on the same 11m band. Though Bernard is living about 50km from my home and we have regular contacts. I know Bernard personally and he's also one of the PA6AA contest team members. I'm shure Bernard will be doing some contacts in the 10m ARRL contest this weekend....

Now, back to the title...

Trigger setup, all spots 10m
If you are seriously into contesting you try to find ways to increase your score. So, I have a good tip that I want to share. I've written about it before. It's the most valuable app on my phone called HamAlert. I've tried it today to see what would show up for 10m only and if it would be of any interest. And it is. HamAlert does alert you with spots from PSKreporter, RBN and DXcluster. I did receive about 35 spots today with the setup I made and expect a lot more tomorrow. I don't think I will be on the radio all the time since I have other things to do. But imagine there is winter ES showing up and I would miss it. With the HamAlert app, I get the message for shure...

Ok, I'm shurely aware, the trigger setup above will spot me as well. So, if you get a message on your phone that I'm spotted. Give it a try ;-)

If you participate in the 10m ARRL contest this weekend I wish you all good luck and many contacts. Be brave and believe in the propagation ghosts, they will support you...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Bas,

Here our contact in 1989 https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsuNZGF5tlu7hE1EKYaZPODupDvb?e=N6sMbf

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Geweldig Louwrens, ik heb de audio nu gelijk maar opgeslagen....73, Bas