Saturday, February 3, 2018

3Y0Z Bouvet Island DXpedition aborted

So unfortunate....

From their website:

2000 UTC 3 February 2018

During the last 72 hours we continued to experience the high winds, low clouds, fog, and rough seas that have prevented helicopter operations since our arrival at Bouvet. No improvement was predicted in the weather forecast for the next four days. Then, last night an issue developed in one of the ship’s engines. This morning the captain of the vessel declared it unsafe to continue with our project and aborted the expedition. We are now on our long voyage back to Punta Arenas. As you might imagine the team is deeply disappointed, but safe. There is already talk about rescheduling the DXpedition.

Bob – K4UEE 
Ralph – K0IR 
Erling – LA6VM

Now this Island is going to be even more rare as it was. Curious if they will come back in the future.
A great disappointment but everyone is alive and it's always safety first in these situations.


3 comments:

  1. Thats just terrible,
    Apart from our personal hopes (hihi)
    Just imagine how those guys feel...
    Hoping they have some bottles of whiskey on board and "both" of their hangovers will be gone soon.
    Expecting them to read here :-) ...thanks for the effort !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jammer voor de expeditieleden en voor alle hams thuis.
    Maar ook jammer van de ruim 750.000 USD die de leden en sponsors opgehoest hebben. Erg triest, 73 Hans, PE1BVQ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heel erg jammer allemaal. Het heeft ze 500000 dollar gekost. Dat is een duur grapje. En dan helemaal geen resultaat en alleen een boottocht naar Bouvet van 2 weken heen en weer 2 weken terug. Maar er komt vast wel weer eens een DXpeditie naar Bouvet, al is het waarschijnlijk pas over een paar jaar. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. Bedankt voor je reactie. 73, Bas