Friday, November 24, 2017

#FT8 tips by ZL2IFB and 3Y0Z band plan

Standard messages
The title of this blogpost could also be called "WSJT-X features you didn't know they exist". I was puzzling how some stations did come back to me in FT8 the way I was used to in JTDX. And after reading ZL2IFP's tricks&tips page I finally know now!

Alternative messages


This way a QSO is considerable shorter and you can move to the next caller. Now, there seems to be QSO purists that stick to the (old) QSO rules and don't want to validate a QSO that was not answered by the QTH locator and RRR or 73. Well, all I can say....look into the future and don't look back. At least I don't care if someone doesn't send me a QSL for a digimode contact that has not been going on according the old rules. As long as reports are exchanged and I get a message that my report has been received by a R or a 73 it's fine for me.

A how to can be found on ZL2IFB's page at tip number 25:

http://www.g4ifb.com/html/digimodes.html#JT65


I just discovered that the Bouvet Island DXpedition will be on FT8 sporadically but not on the official FT8 frequencies. Oh yes, I like that and find it a very good decision. This way small QRP stations with a antenna inside a building have a chance to catch this very very rare DX.

See: http://www.bouvetdx.org/band-plan-frequencies/

9 comments:

John AE5X said...

Excellent - I worked a station on 630m JT9 a few days ago who used Tip #25 method. Good to know I can do that without writing a different set of macros.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I did put the macros in from JT-Alert manually every time. Didn't understand how it was done. Even thought they found some other FT8 software. Luckely found this tip and probabely you can find it in the manual ;-). 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, 3YØZ bandplan is transmitting on 14067 which is the SIM31 frequency. I was afraid something like this will happen, because the FT8 window is too crowded. 73 Paul PC4T

SV1GRN said...

Hi Bas I agrre with you, thanks for sharing.
73 de SV1GRN

Photon said...

The giving of a locator might have its uses for 'collectors' - but not much for the rest of us. I agree that a signal report is sufficient.

Gary said...

Hi friends. The ARRL grid challenge in 2018 will encourage people to send their grids, so that shortcut won't be so popular next year. Meanwhile, it's fun to try different approaches.
Glad you like my FT8 tips!
73 Gary ZL2iFB

SV1GRN said...

Hi Gary thanks for FT8 (and other) tips. For the grid chalLenge I wonder why ARRL doesn't accept logs before 2018? All infos are in the LOTW already.
73 de SV1GRN

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Gary, we really like your tips a lot. Indeed there are individual challenges that need a locator for a exchange. Like the ARRL grid challenge but also the JT9 challenges for calculating the distances. However, with a click of the mouse you can set it on or off. Thanks for your comment....73, Bas

Gary said...

The ARRL grid challenge is intended (I guess) to stimulate HF activity during the current solar minimum rather than reward us for past DXing under better conditions. I know what you mean though. The DXCC Challenge has caught quite a lot of flak for encouraging DXers to make multiple QSOs with rare DXpeditions just to fill their vacant slots: personally, I think that's a good thing, but then I'm not firing a pea-shooter from some cavern deep in a major city! MX HNY Gary ZL2iFB