Sunday, January 23, 2022

Progression

 

I realize I didn't post much on my blog since the start of this year. As a matter of fact, I didn't even make a single QSO this new year. The only thing I did was listening once and a while.

To the left you see the feedpoint of my log (loop on ground) receiving antenna. It consists of a loop approx 5x5m directly on the ground fed by a 1:6 balun. Measured the R and SWR, it is about 50 Ohm from 7-30MHz. However, I'm not really impressed yet. It receives about the same as my multiband vertical at top of my tower. Compared to my 2x20 doublet in inverted-V configuration it is just not what I expected. I plan to do a decent receive test with two WSPR stations.


I decided to install my 160m sloper again as well. I hope to use it in the upcoming PACC contest. You can click on the photo at th right to view it in a bigger format. At top you can see 3 wires going from the tower, one of them, obviously the one in the same direction of the beam is the sloper.

If time allows I would like to listen to some AM MW broadcast stations as well with this antenna. Although I found that my all band vertical does well on listening on MW.


To increase the efficiëncy I did ad some radials to the base of the tower as well. Last year I made one QSO to VK (Australia), till now my record distance on topband.

Well, I decided to slow down my HAMradio activities. I really like this hobby but there are so many other things in this life. It is, of course, always a matter of priorities.


2 comments:

MadDogMcQ said...

Strangely enough Bas, I just purchased a 9:1 Transformer and 60ft of cable to experiment with a LOG. I was hoping to connect it to my RECEIVE antenna on the 7610. I’m aware that some experimenters have been disappointed with their LOGs but maybe their expectations were too high. The best results seem to be at 80M and lower.

As a keen SWL I think I might get more enjoyment from it than most.

73, Tom, M7MCQ.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Tom, it is just what kind of antenna you use as a reference. I tried the LOG on 80m and 160m. It is even worse as 40m. I've read that some stations use rx amps to boost the signal, but if there is no signal all you boost is noise. I heard of raising the wire above the ground which improves the signal and receive with a few dB. It might be working well in an environment that is full of all kind of interference. I don't have much interference luckely enough. Hoped for some less noise and better readable signals. So far best RX ability is still my doublet in inverted-V configuration. 73, Bas