Thursday, July 15, 2021

Manpack bracket for the FT-817/818

 Well, some of you know that I homemade a bracket back in 2017 after I saw commercial brackets made by chameleon antenna. It functions well but lately I was thinking about constructing a manpack, or a grab-and-go amateurradio station. Ideal would be a package that includes everything: trx, psu/battery, digital wireless modem and antenna. Something like the new Icom IC-705 with that fancy bag which is just made for this rig. Anyway, many do have the FT-817 and are not willing to buy a expensive gadget. Not that the IC-705 is a bad radio but it is very expensive, at least for my wallet.

Today I came across this:


O.M.G...this is just what I'm looking for. But of course this piece of art is expensive. Besides that I prefer to make things myself. This bracket is looking very well and it allows the FT-817 stand at its back which is ideal when you want to construct a manpack. I like the detachable connectors that make it possible to access them at the front and act as feet as well. It is certainly worth to view the videos at the site that offers these brackets.

https://www.armoloq.com/

I will never be able to copy this bracket since I do not have the materials/tools needed to create this. But I have a pretty good idea of a cheaper alternative which will cost me hours of work of course. But hey, it's a hobby so why not...

Don't have time, don't want to spend a lot of money or not really handy? If you really want to buy something cheap.....check this out.

No comments: