Tuesday, March 17, 2020

2 mods on the IC-7300 I might consider

There are two things that are quite irritating on the Icom IC-7300. First is the loud relay clicking and second is the loud fan sound when transmitting. Although the IC-706 fan is at least as loud it didn't botter me since I was used to it, but with another fan it can be silenced....

The relay clicking can be solved easily with some putty:


The fan can be exchanged with the Noctua NF-A8 PWM, it gives considerable less noise.

https://hamradio.org.uk/icom-ic7300-modifications/

Another small mod would be a shorter and thicker PS cable. I notice a considerable voltage drop with the long original cable. It gives some power drop from the radio at full power.

http://www.g4izh.co.uk/dc-power-cable-change.html

My IC-7300 is only half a year old. I have to wait till the end of august 2021 because I don't want to void the 2 year warranty. I might think different at that time.

3 comments:

PA4JJ said...

Een koptelefoon doet wonderen Bas.
😂

MadDogMcQ said...

Wow, that's a crazy loud relay at the back! I don't understand why it would be clicking like that anyway - I thought it would only latch once while you held the PTT down.

Anyway, it's an excellent solution to the problem :-)

Photon said...

Was that guy's body grounded, do you think? Lots of prodding around sensitive components.

The low frequency noise is reduced, but the higher frequency stuff is just as loud. The videographer has his sound meter on 'C' weighting, which is the wrong one for reflecting the human ear's response. He should have been using 'A' weighting.