Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Testing the vertical on 17m/160m

I always like to test the propagation on the edge. Looking for contacts on the highest band possible. Yesterday evening that was 15m (21MHz). But although I did see some stations they didn't see me. So, down one band to 17m (18MHz). I was immidiatly successful in making QSOs to the West Indies and Central America, later also North and South America. ODX was with CX7BBR from Uruquay (11529km).


When propagation faded later on I thought I try the lowest band possible, I didn't try 160m yet on my new setup. On 1840KHz I saw a german station calling Japan. So a quick view on the Japanese FT8 frequency 1908KHz revealed I did receive at least one Japanese station. For the fun of it I just tried with 50W not expecting anything. A few moments later I had 4 (!!) Japanese stations in the log.


I can't imagine it is just the vertical I use. There has to be excellent propagation yesterday evening...
But so far I am impressed with the results.

2 comments:

VE9KK said...

WOW that is amazing results Bas! The vertical seems to be doing the job for you.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, but not really as expected. Although I have to make further tests. I had the assumption the vertical was better on 40m compared to the inverted-V but it isn't, not even on DX. Of course I knew that since the vertical only has low angle radiation on 10MHz and above when I simulate it with EZNEC. However, why it is working so well on 160m is not known to me?? There might be a kind of induction coupling with the tower?? 73, Bas