Monday, September 30, 2019

#CQWW DX RTTY contest experiment

Event: CQWW DX RTTY 2019
Section:  Single Operator Low Power  All Band 
Logger: N1MM+ newest version
RTTY engine: MMTTY & 2Tone
Station: Icom IC-7300 70W
Antenna: Multiband Inverted-V 2x20m ladderline fed, apex @12m agl

Yet again I have to write I don't like RTTY contests. However, after the experiments done last weekend it is a huge difference operating with a IC-7300 instead of my old IC-706.

After a small discussion about the contest PA4O Peter recommended I should try 2 receivers for RTTY. The standard MMTTY and 2Tone. His experience was that 2Tone sometimes decodes better as MMTTY. This was my first real contest with the IC-7300 and I saw it as a technical challenge to make everything work like it should for a proper RTTY contest station.

First of all the IC-7300 needs to communicate with N1MM+ at a higher speed level as the CAT
control I use with HRD. The higher speed setting is mainly to be shure the spectrum display in N1MM+ is working. So I had to make a different setting profiles with the help of WT2P Cedrick's description on his website. It also describes the RTTY FSK setup with the help of EXTFSK in MMTTY. I was smart enough to do this already on the 7th of this month.

Remembering all the setup challenges I had with the IC-706 over the past years I didn't expect it to work immidiatly, but it did! That was quite a relief! I made some QSOs and after a while I concluded everything worked rock stable. Time to do the second experiment, the setup of 2Tone. I found a good tutorial on rttycontesting.com. I got it working instantly. I have to say, the Icom IC-7300 makes live of a hamradio operator a lot easier....

But what are my experiences with this setup?
Well, first of all my transmit signal was better (read clean) since I use FSK RTTY now, but I don't think it gave me extra QSOs?

Screenshot from the internal decoder
The Icom IC-7300 has a special RTTY Tone Pass Filter (TPF) that is really good, I used it all the time and I'm shure I could receive signals that I would not be able to receive with the IC-706.

I used 3 RTTY decoders: MMTTY, 2Tone and the IC-7300 internal encoder. Personal experience...well sometimes 2Tone was better, sometimes MMTTY and sometimes the internal RTTY decoder. Overall MMTTY was best in my opinion.

The N1MM+ spectrum display experience. Unfortunately almost useless. The only thing you can see is if a station that has been spotted can be heard at your receiver. But on a contest busy band there are so many spots and signals you can't see much actually....

Screenshot from my computer. A bit messy....that's called experimenting. Click to see the big picture.
I only participated a few hours on Sunday. Started on 20m and 15m. Searching for interesting DX. And found some. Only S&P style. I did some running on 40m and 80m in the evening. 40m didn't work out. 80m always does. The last 15 minutes of my effort I decided to do some S&P on 80m. I worked remote from the living room and only controlled with the up/down arrows. I have to say that I found a station every 6-10 clicks on the button, that's 1 station every 600-1000Hz.

Well, I consider this experiment as successful. I tried everything I wanted to experiment with and it all works. I will never get a good score in a RTTY contest just because I don't like it. Besides that I don't think you will get a good score with S&P. You need a good antenna, good propagation and....well I hate to write it but I think you need a bit of power at least for running. And then you need to get spotted and have a pile-up that does not end within a few minutes. And you need time, a lot of time. PA4O did participate for over 32 hours and ended up with 1220 QSO, that's a lot more as me (and probabely many others).


Above a map from most of the contacts. I operated just over 5 hours. ODX was YB1ELP (Indonesia, 11223km).

2 comments:

Pedro-CT7ARQ said...

Hello my friend amateur radio operator.
I am a Portuguese amateur radio operator and military sailor, i am going to Vlissingen and also Den Helder Koninklijke Marine bases next year, searching on the web i found your web page and i hope you can help me whit some questions about amateur radio in in Netherlands.
Is there any amateur radio store in Vlissingen or in the near area?
Is there any electronic components store in Vlissingen or in the near area?
Is there any monthly or anualy amateur radio meeting whit radio market in Vlissingen or in the near area?

Hope we can talk via radio in a next future.

73 de Pedro Almeida, CT7ARQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Pedro, try to contact the amateur radio club in Vlissingen. They can help you.

http://english.pi4vli.nl/news.php

I'm living at the north coast. Completely other side of the Netherlands so I can't help you.

73, Bas