Thursday, September 12, 2019

Am I lazy?

I have been thinking about the title of this post. Couldn't find any....so this was the thought I finally had after finishing this very small project.

The challenge: A few times a year you need to disconnect you antennas due to arriving thunderstorms. I don't want fried equipment. Luckely thunderstorms are not so very common here. Disconnecting the coax and rotor cable is easy. But removing the 2 wires from the ladderline behind my antennatuner is a pain. There is not much room and it takes time to remove them by turning the butterfly nuts completely off. Then after the danger had gone it takes time to connect everything again...so I was thinking.


The solution: This is what I came up with first. 2 pieces of Alu corner profile isolated with heat shrink and a piece of plastic. All measured to fit. Took me a while to make it. But looks nice...


Then I connected everything. The only problem is that the ladderline wires are very rigid. There is some tension on it as I have to turn it around in a corner, remember there is not much room...
And that make the plugs moving out too easy....
Since I had no good feeling about that I decided to remove everything and develop something else.



And came up with this simple thing. 2 pieces of rigid 6mm wire. What I use for connecting the wires are WAGO 221 isolated compact connectors for electrical wiring of your home installation. The nice thing is that you can snap a cable in and it is easy to remove again. So far it looks like this works.


Still I don't have a really good feeling about it. I like to tighten things, like the coax PL connectors. Am I lazy now? May be I will remove it again and just tighten the wires on the terminals with the butterfly nuts like I always did. Well....sometimes simple things can be so hard.



4 comments:

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, very nice idea and for sure it will be a simple way to disconnect when a storm could be on it's way. I am sure if the connection is loose it may show up in the SWR reading.
73 and have a good weekend
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, the SWR is fine. Almost no difference between directly connected and via these connectors. So I guess it's fine, it's just my own feeling. 73, Bas

John M. said...

Why not use ring connectors > 14g solid wire > Powerpole connector(s) > ladder line.
Tight, color coded connectors that can be removed with ease, and have a good connection with minimal SWR degradation.
73
John
KF6EFG

PE4BAS, Bas said...

The powerpole connectors are not really easily available in the Netherlands. But I can probabely find some on the internet. We'll look into that, tnx. 73, Bas