Sunday, August 11, 2019

Birthday present !

Today marks my 51 year birthday. And last week I already bought myself a birthday present. I've been saving money for it for almost 2 years. Now I finally sold some of my equipment and was able to buy it in the end. Actually it would have been a good present last year for my 50th birthday but other costs didn't allow me to buy the radio.  I have to say, the radio was not in stock last week, but just in time Marcus PA2DB from Hamshop.nl did e-mail me the radio was in stock again and offered me the IC-7300 for a better price without even knowing it is a birthday present ;-).

Of course setting it up was piece of "birthday" cake since I still have my SD card programmed with the settings from PC7B's IC-7300 I had here in the shack lately. The only thing that was different was the assignment of a different COM port. Of course that problem was solved quickly. First QSO I made a few days ago was with 5T5PA Johannes from Mauretania on 10m FT8. So far I only used and tried the radio on digimodes, I haven't even tried SSB yet.

Wow, I can't believe I finally have the radio that I wanted so badly. Not that it will give me more DX (or may be it will?). But it certainly has a lot more features and possebilities compared to my 21 year old IC-706MK2G. I already know a few, but there is a lot more to find out. I didn't want to try things on PC7B's IC-7300 but with my own now I'm free to experiment. I'm shure I'll write about the experiences here on my weblog.


9 comments:

VE9KK said...

Happy Birthday Bas, very nice radio and it's great that in became a stock item just in time for the big day. This is a very nice rig and I'm sure it will keep you very busy with learning the in's and out's of all the features. There is a very good book entitled The Radio Today guide to the Icom IC-7300, I have the one for the 7610.
All the best and again happy birthday!
73,
Mike
VE3WDM

Dirk PA1BD said...

Happy birthday Bas, 7300 is a great little transceiver. I use a ts590 now for years but in the future the next transceiver will be 7300 for sure. Good luck with it and have many radio hours of fun.

73 de Dirk PA1BD

G1KQH said...

Happy Birthday Bas, hope it brings your many good years of excitement!

Hope to work you soon!

73 Steve G1KQH

PA2RF said...

Gefeliciteerd. Mooi kadootje !

Hans said...

Ook via dit medium van harte gefeliciteerd en deze verjaardag kan vlgs mij niet meer stuk met de nieuwe Icom IC-7300. Goed dat je gewacht hebt. Je weet wel wat ik bedoel.73 Hans PE1BVQ

John AE5X said...

Gefeliciteerd Bas - enjoy the new rig!

Jan, OZ9QV said...

Gefeliciteerd, Bas.
Veel plezier met de 7300 !
Vy 73 de Jan, OZ9QV

Unknown said...

Fantastic! You've been writing me for years now about your successor for the IC706 and now at last... There it is! Like I wrote once to you; A nice quiet receiver with a lot of filtering possibilities. Have fun, you deserve it! Best 73 de Frank PF5T

MadDogMcQ said...

Well done achieving your goal of owning a 7300. I fancy one too but my home QTH is a bit too noisy to warrant introducing another radio. I am tempted though :-) 73, Tom (M7MCQ)