Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Frustrating...

Well, about the new antenna tower. I have it up and it holds a emergency inverted-V with 2x20m wire fed through a 30m long open line. But it doesn't work that well mainly because I think it is too low and sloping to about 2m above the ground. I want to put it up higher a few meters but that means I need to install the rotor + alu top tube and extend the open line a bit. Unfortenately the weather is not really that good, freezing cold, high winds and a lot of rain. Everything on and around the tower is soaking wet and muddy (good for reflections). Besides that it seems I have no time, or actually time is consumed by other things. When I leave the house in the morning it is still dark en when I come home it is already dark, that's the time of the year and it frustrates me.

I can't remember if I showed some photos from the installation of the tower so this is a good time. I haven't got photos from the day we actually managed to put the mast itself on the buck as it was done with 3 men in soaking rain. So far I drilled some holes in the garage wall as coax and other wires will be passing through it. I also digged a 60mm tube in the soil to accommodate the cables from the garage to the mast. And I installed the cabinet that will accommodate the lightning arrestors and galvanic divider. So far, I guess, I did a whole lot. But it doesn't go fast enough. Most of it should be ready before the PACC and hopefully to work the 3Y0Z DXpedition on Bouvet Island. Time will tell if I manage to do all the things I want...

As seen on the left the tower buck is standing (I hope buck is the right word?) and it is exactly levelled. But though unfortunately the mast isn't, it is just a fraction and if have to look at it how to get it levelled as well. I can't remember if I had this problem on my previous location?
If only the weather would be better....

Some more photo's from the tower when it was just installed below







Well, I also did some maintenance on the winches. Actually I thought it would need more maintenance but they only needed some paint and grease. Cables are high quality stainless and didn't have any sign of wear. Shown on the right is also a "refurbished" top bearing. Now if only the weather would be better and if I had some more time I could install everything. Frustrating!

I listened at the 40m, 60m and 80m band this evening, other bands were closed. On 40m there was a lot of noise, S7 with attenuation on. I only managed to hear one station which was 4U13FEB as SES from Italy. Working him was no problem on the vertical, I could barely hear him on the inverted-V. 80m was better but not many stations on the band so I switched off the radio to write this blogpost. Through writing this I hope I can get rid of my frustration....

6 comments:

John AE5X said...

Hello Bas,

Try not to be too frustrated - you are making forward progress after all and that's a good thing, especially in January. What antenna do you have planned for the tower?

Hans said...

Gewoon rustig blijven Bas. Ook bij mij is de antenne een puinhoop. De horizontale boom met elevatierotor is een eigen leven aan het leiden. Ik kom na de storm tot de ontdekking dat ik geen enkele satelliet meer kan werken. Antennes, kabels en connectoren nagemeten, alles OK. Door toeval kom ik erachter dat mijn antenne niet in de goede richting stond waar ik hem op gericht had. Nadere controle blijkt dat mijn installatie ca. 340 graden gedraaid was. Echt ongelofelijk, dat hou je toch niet voor mogelijk! Rotorklok nagekeken maar niets gevonden. Het moet op het dak verkeerd zijn gegaan maar wat??
Los getrilde klem?? Het is te nat om het dak op te gaan dus moet ik helaas wachten totdat het dak wat droger is. Tot die tijd zit ik te balen dat ik er niet bij kan en niet over de sats kan werken. Dus Bas, ik kan je goed begrijpen, we zitten allebei in hetzelfde schuitje. Ik blijf kalm,dus jij ook hi. Sterkte en goed weekend. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Tja het is bij jullie ook erg hard tekeer gegaan met die storm. Zag hier en daar meer amateurs met schade. Ik blijf ook wel rustig Hans maar wil graag toch m'n best doen om op zijn minst wat beter uit te kunnen komen met de PACC. Toen ik de inverted-V opbouwde voor de PA-beker deed hij het toch een stuk beter als nu, dus er is wat niet goed. Waarschijnlijk komt het ook door de ladderlijn die op het dak van de garage ligt. Ladderlijn moet nl vrij hangen en door alle regen word het ook niet beter. Hoop dat je binnenkort je antenne's weer klaar krijgt daar. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, indeed I am making progress but slowly...for the tower I plan at least a omnidirectional multiband antenna like I have now, but the design is not certain yet. I still have a 5 element 10m beam and a 5 element 6m beam which I want to test. Those are going into the mast first. The ultimate goal is a multiband beam for 20-17-15-12 and 10m. 73, Bas

Hans said...

Hoi Bas, vroeger met eigen tv-antennes hadden we ook ladderlijnen ofwel lintkabel (300 ohm). Voor het bevestigen op het dak naar beneden hadden we speciale afstandshouders van ca. 12cm. Plat op het dak kan niet he'!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, bij ons zat de 300 Ohm lijn gewoon tegen de muur en door het dak. Daarna tegen de muur zonder afstandshouders en dan het laatste stukje tegen de buis waar de antenne's op stonden! Misschien konden we daarom wel geen Duitsland ontvangen hi :-( 73, Bas