Tuesday, May 8, 2012

7O6T and HRD

Well, my XYL had to go to a birthdayparty yesterday evening. So, after I brought my little daughter Anneli to her bed I had a spare hour to spend in front of the radio. Of course hoping for that QSO with 7O6T. After consulting the DXcluster I tried to hear them different bands, but unfortenately no 7O6T anywere except for the pile-up of course. I decided to install the newest version of HRD (5.21.0.57) instead to try it out. After HRD moved to LLC software I only upgraded to the first new version in which I never discovered any problems. Anyway, I installed it and made some quick tests and restored my favorites as they are gone after you install the new version. It's a known bug so you better save your favorites before upgrading.  I made 2 RTTY QSOs to Oman and Belarus on 20m with DM780 without any problems, only when I tried to double click on the call to get it in the log the program refused. I have no problem with that although it makes logging slower. After that I tried once more to hear 7O6T somewhere and yes a very weak signal was just audible on 17m I could decode a few words "I don't hear any stations". This was my chance as it seems he was just starting to call, I shouted my call 10KHz up and he came back "PE4BA" what is your last letter. I shouted "Sierra Sierra PE4BAS" and he came back with my call this time. After exchanging the usual 59 report the QSO was a fact. I manually typed the call in the logbook windows and hit F1 to log. But HRD logbook refuses, again I tried this time with the mouse....and again it refuses. Whatever I tried, I could not log any call. Oops, never had serious issues with HRD before, but this seems to be a great bug. Luckely Windows has a restore function and within a matter of minutes I was back at the old version again where after testing I could log without any problem.  I think the HRD programming team has lots to do before they have a reliable version.




Gisterenavond was mijn XYL op verjaardagsvisite en na het naar bed brengen van mijn QRP Anneli had ik nog een uurtje over om de radio aan te zetten. Natuurlijk hopende op het QSO met 7O6T. Snel het DX cluster bekeken en geluisterd op diverse banden. Maar helaas, geen 7O6T te horen, wel de pile-up natuurlijk. Ik heb toen maar besloten om de nieuwste versie van Ham Radio Deluxe (5.21.0.57) te installeren om uit te proberen. Na de overgang van HRD naar LLC had ik alleen nog maar de eerste update geïnstalleerd en daarmee nog geen problemen ondervonden. Maar goed, ik heb snel even wat testjes uitgevoerd en mijn favorieten terug gezet. Die zijn namelijk weg na het installeren van de nieuwe versie, dit is een bekend probleem dus voor het installeren je favorieten even opslaan! Op 20m nog 2 RTTY QSO's gemaakt met Oman en Belarus, dat ging op zich prima alleen waar ik vroeger dubbel kon klikken op de call om het in het log te zetten, weigert het programma dit nu te doen. Heb ik op zich niet zoveel problemen mee, maar het maakt het loggen wel een stuk langzamer. Toen nog maar eens geluisterd of ik 7O6T nu kon horen, en ja heel zwak op 17m kon ik af en toe wat woorden meekrijgen "I don't hear any stations".....Mooi dit is mijn kans, 10 KHz erboven geroepen en ja 2x roepen en hij kwam terug. "PE4BA what is your last letter" waarna ik terug schreeuwde "Sierra Sierra PE4BAS". Gelukkig kon hij me dit keer om nemen en na het uitwissellen van het standaard 59 rapport was het QSO een feit. Ik tik de call manueel in het logveld van HRD logboek en druk F1 om te loggen....niks. Nog maar een keer met de muis dan....niks. Wat ik ook probeer, ik kan geen enkele call loggen in het logboek. Oei, tot nu toe had ik weinig problemen met HRD, maar dit is toch wel een heel grote bug. Gelukkig zit er een restore functie op Windows en heb ik binnen een paar minuten de oude versie maar weer terug gezet waar het loggen zonder problemen gaat. Het HRD programmeurs team heeft nog veel te doen denk ik, voordat ze een betrouwbare versie in elkaar kunnen zetten.

16 comments:

John AE5X said...

Congrats Bas!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Tnx John, another new all band DXCC for me. 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hoi Bas, die is mooi binnen. Gefeliciteerd. 73 Paul

Paddy said...

Congrats Bas ....I gave up on HRD moved to DX Lab

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Had niet gedacht dat ik hem zou werken hoor. Af en toe een beetje geluk heb ik wel nodig...73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hi Paddy, I tried DXlab and it's a nice program. Though I like the graphics of HRD. It's just like in the ninetees on packetradio. You had SP and GP (Graphic Packet) both were working with their advantages and disadvantages. But GP was much better graphically. Of course in the end it's all about reliability. 73, Bas

Ricardo - CT2GQV said...

Bas, nothing like a paper log :)
I heard that expedition this weekend (I guess it were them) but didn't called, never got to listen the call-sign such was the "mess" in the ether.

PC1I said...

Hi Bas,

strange, I have none of the problems you describe...
First of all, I removed HRD a few weeks ago when I read a story from the guys who own HRD now. I decided to quit with HRD as I find the update scheme and the price they want to have for the software is not in line with wat I want to pay for it...
But I installed the latest version (5.21.0.57) a few days ago as I wanted to make some more exports of my log for use in a other program (not decided really yet wich one) To my surpise the latest version used all the settings from the previous install, it is even asked by the software when you install (Do you want to keep your old settings). I knew HRD uses a hidden folder in the windows user profile with all kind of settings but did not remove that folder yet. So all my favorites and color scheme and logbook were found and used...
Second I just put in the 7O6T call in, gave myself 59 and them 43 (as I never heard them better than that HI) and it saved without any problem.

Really do not understand what is causing you troubles...
;-)

I was using DXlab for a while, seems very good but I hate the fact that it is possible to save a QSO without a report... Have to check all settings for that one, found a few QSO's in the log where I forgot to give the received and sent report... Really annoying... Yes, I know, my own fault, but I think it is strange behaviour for this kind of software, those fields should be mandatory...
;-)

73, Kees

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, I had used HRD for some time and was bouncing around from program to program. I found that when I went back to a certain program to try it again I had to go over the basics again. This ended up taking time and becoming frustrating so I settled for just one program. I like Paddy use DXLab's now and have set HRD off to the side. I also understand HRD is no longer free for upgrades? If this is the case the bugs should be far and few between.
Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Sometimes I think you're right Ricardo, but what if you make about 2500 QSOs a year and you want to search or a particular call? That's difficult with a paper log. About that mess, I know what you mean....lots of tuners and lids. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Thanks testing Kees, at the question if I would keep the old settings or migrate I chose migrate. And I installed without uninstall the old version first like I always did. I tried to restart HRD/HRD logbook but the same problem. I don't know what is causing this trouble, could it be Windows Vista? Not having to much confidence in these new programmers now...Have actually worked 7O6T Kees? 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, I know about your search for a good allround log. Actually for main logging I still use my trusty HRD version 4 which is in my eyes still the best and has all I need. But V5 has more possebilities and have installed it on my desktop which is connected to the radio. Till now upgrades are still free. But from what I understand it isn't when HRD V6 is presented. 73, Bas

HamRadioIreland said...

Bas, Congrats on getting 7O6T into the log! Well done old man.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Tnx Anthony, I'm glad I'm in the log at least on one band. 73, Bas

PD7BZ said...

Hi Bas,
For me,i also use old version of HRD...the 5th Version.Workes good..so i keep it.Also running very well on Windows 7.I liked some things in the HRD4...in that it was nice to get the DXCC pro band etc...and that way easely to get them on your homepage,if you would.

7O6T was for me 4 slots, 10 and 20M on SSB/CW.RTTY...no change.Too much bandwith..too much QRMers.Only 8000 QSO's for them in RTTY.
Also got manage to get them in the PD6MILL log on 10/20 M in SSB.We were active again from the Windmill on the 12th and 13th.

73's and all the best regards,
Bernard

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hoi Bernard, ja we hebben het er al eens over gehad mbt V4. Vind de overzichten in V ook veel duidelijker. Ik heb PD6MILL hier helaas niet kunnen waarnemen. Wel geluisterd als jullie gespot werden op het DX cluster. Heb zo ie zo helemaal geen windmill activiteiten gehoord. 73, Bas