Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Leave those "touch" switches out of the house

My XYL would like to have some more light on the kitchen counter . So I found a suitable LED light. Not some cheap chinese alibaba light, no, it costs at least 50 euro. It is a high quality LED light with integrated touch switch. It works fantastic and it gives a lot of light. But with some trouble in mind reading about touch switches in several forums and sites from other HAMs I asked the guy in the shop if I could test it first before I buy it explaining the hamradio troubles. He agreed and I went home to test it. Well, on the vertical antenna which is standing 10-15m from the house there was no trouble at all. But then the horizontal loop. On 60m and 40m with 100W it gave me the trouble I didn't want. Flickering lights when transmitting. So, I brought it back to the shop. I know that many have trouble with these kind of switches and tried to solve it by filtering, I don't know if anyone succeeded? I did a simple test with ferrite but it doesn't solve anything. Touch switches well I don't know....I leave them out of my house and environment. I hope the neighbours will never get them as they probabely will think there is a ghost in their house switching the light on and off all the time.


Above the test and experiment in video. In the end I bought a roll of flexible cheap chinese LED strip with a infrared switch and remote control it's even dimmable, A small test today under the same circumstances revealed it was not affected by RF at all. Price: 15 euro. Think about it...


4 comments:

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, leuk testje. Zo zie je maar dat goedkoop ook wel eens goed kan zijn. Maar alles is geheel afhankelijk hoe de schakeling is. Je had eigenlijk die voedingsdraad een paar keer door die ferrietclamp door moeten halen dan heeft dat pas effect. Of de storing voorbij zou zijn geweest is maar de vraag. Op dit moment worden we overstroomd door elektronische apparatuur om ons gemak nog mooier te maken maar levert ons als zendamateur weer problemen op vanwege beïnvloeding van onze zenders op deze apparatuur.
Wij hebben onlangs een prachtige, zeer dure hoekbank gekocht met een deel die geheel kan uitschuiven in relaxstand. Prachtig maar als ik op HF bezig ben gilt mijn xyl dat het spookt in huis. De bank gaat steeds in allerlei standen staan. De draden HF proberen te ontkoppelen maar ik kan er moeilijk bij en de bank is loodzwaar. Ik trek tegenwoordig de stekker er maar uit. Leuk hoor, al die elektronische gemakken hi.
73 Hans, PE1BVQ

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, seems the more pricey light has a higher profit margins.
73,
Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Je kan het niet goed zien Hans maar ik heb de draad 3x door de clamp heen gehaald, meer lukte niet. Maar denk dat als ik er nog meer clamps tussen gezet had er nog niks zou veranderen, het slaat gewoon in, waarschijnlijk werkt een component als een detectie diode. Mooi verhaal van die hoekbank. Jij kan er nog mee lezen. Maar stel je voor dat de buren zo een ding hebben, ik zou er gek van worden als ik naast je woonde haha. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I think you're right Mike....although the light I have now is completely different. It doesn't have a touch switch on the light itself but on the infrared remote control. 73, Bas