Saturday, February 6, 2016

Something complete different


The nice thing of this blog is that you can write about actually everything you like. Doesn't have to do necessarely with hamradio, radio or antennas. So, today I write about something completely different. Though actually it was a other HAMradio operator that got me involved in this. I wrote about it before 3 years ago. G1HGD Mike sent me a tape from a band called "Porcupine Tree". I immidiatly liked the music although he sent me some other tapes as well from various artists.

Since then I bought some CDs and went to a concert here in Groningen in 2003. Now, it's 2016. Porcupine Tree is not active at the moment but their leadsinger Steven Wilson a musical multitalent is. Of course music is very personal, so this blogpost is actually just for me and those who are interested. I'm not really concert minded, but if a artist you like is playing nearby only once in the 13 years....well....you have to go. Steven Wilson's music can best be described as "magical but at the same time horrifying" strange combination isn't it. It is very complex music, you like it or you disgust. But just like I wrote, music is very personal. I get goose bumps from it. Especially when you are there when it is played live. What can I tell, it got me busy this week and I really enjoyed the concert. Now afterwards it's just viewing photos from the concert and listening to his newest albums (Hand.Cannot. Erase & 4 1/2) and remembering. Will he be here again in 10-15 years? I really don't know as Steven's popularity rises he cannot play everywhere. Certainly not at small concerthalls anymore.
Some highlights....everything actually as the complete album was played live. After a short break he played some other songs from the newest "left over songs" album. The special thing was that a a large transparant cloth was in front of the stage, they projected both on background as on this cloth which gave a very nice effect. Shining lights from behind in different angles gave a very hypnotizing effect. Hard to describe as you need to see this to experience it. Below a short video which is from last years tour in the USA.



Well, this post has nothing to do with HAMradio. Not enough to start another blog and why should I. I like it and it's my blog (sorry I'm selfish). Hope you readers liked it and otherwise just wait....I got lots of HAMradio related posts still as a concept. A lot of ideas, a lot of radio experiments and a lot of radio experiences. Stay tuned!




4 comments:

Bert, PA1B said...

Hallo Bas, leuk te zien, dat je geniet van de muziek. Het is jou Blog, geniet er van. hi. 73, Bert

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, vaag ken ik deze band wel. De video clip klinkt zeker lekker. Ik houd hier wel van. En ja, er zijn meer amateurs die op hun radio blog andere dingen neerzetten. Zoals Roger G3XBM, en waarom niet. Gewoon doen. 73 Paul PC4T

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Bedankt Bert, ik geniet zeker. Kijk daarom vind ik jouw blog ook zo interessant. Jij zet er ook op wat je maar wilt. En zo moet het eigenlijk ook. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, dat vind ik ook. Men blijft gauw alleen bij radio. Terwijl er ook nog andere dingen zijn. Vaak heeft men toch meerdere hobby's. Dus waarom ook niet eens wat anders. Dit hield mij bezig en vind ik leuk om nog eens te bekijken later. 73, Bas