Saturday, January 3, 2015

30m W5OLF WSPR VCXO-AXE beacon kit (1)


It has been years ago already that I first noticed this kit from G4ILO's blog. I think that's the same post were I discovered AE5X John's blog. They were both very enthousiastic about the little WSPR kit and at a certain point I made a comment that this would be the ideal WSPR tx to power with solar energy. So far so good, I didn't order one as it was not clear to me how. Till Jay W5OLF wrote me he had them still available with ordering instructions. A few weeks later I received the kit and ordered a gymboss timer to trigger the switch on the kit as well. It was really my goal to build it that year and write about it on this blog. But other things happened and time did go on. Now it's almost 4 years later and since Roger G3XBM is experimenting with a new 10m WSPR kit from W5OLF I decided it was time to finally build the thing. I actually started with the Gymboss timer mod found on G4ILO's blog. I already printed that mod on paper as I don't know how long Julian's blog will be online now he left us. Julian did not make photos from the work he did on the Gymboss. I did, but it was a little difficult. Photos are not that good as I made them with my phone. But you get the idea. Dismanteling the timer is not the problem. Modifying didn't gave me much trouble. But then you have to put everything back in the case. Not easy but I managed it finally. The Gymboss timer is ready for connecting. Back to the WSPR kit now in a next post.

2 comments:

Hans said...

Leuk project Bas, die timer. Zo te lezen heb je hem reeds gemodificeerd en nu nog alles in het kastje krijgen. Tja, dat kan wel eens tegenzitten, maar dat lukt jou wel. Ik ben reuze benieuwd naar het vervolg als je hem aan de beaconkit gaat koppelen. Ik zit ook aan een WSPR-TX te denken, dat scheelt het gebruik van een PC en de FT-817, maar ik kijk eerst de kat uit de boom hi. Succes, 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, zou er inderdaad even mee wachten. Heb er nog wel wat over te zeggen. Dit project heb ik al een paar jaar liggen en inderdaad er is geen computer/internet/radio nodig. Daarbuiten verbruikt het bijna niks en is ideaal om te voeden uit een accu die weer bijv. opgeladen word door een zonnepaneel. Het enige probleem is dat de timer maar 99 keer kan aansturen. Zender blijft het dus niet eeuwig doen. 73, Bas