Friday, January 9, 2015

WSPR kit boxed

It seems building and testing a WSPR kit is not that interesting. The amount of blog readers dropped dramatically last couple of days. I don't care.....I'm having fun!

I decided I better spend all available hobby time to finish the kit like I want it to have it. I found a nice box with a transparant cover just big enough to fit the VCXO-AXE, Timer and voltage regulator in. The voltage regulator is a L78S10CV capable of doing 2A current at 10V. Input should of course be above 10V till about 35V. A solar powered battery would be just fine. The voltage regulator is mounted at the box together with a piece of aluminium for a bit of extra cooling. I also mounted a reverse polarity protection with a simple diode and a 1A fuse. I did a test again and the voltage regulator doesn't run warm at all, the kit gives a nice stable 1W now tested between about 11-16V input. Just to show you how small it all is I made a photo to compare is with the size of my FT-817.

I let it run again on 30m last night. Propagation was not very good. Have been looking at the results from Peter PA4PS who did 5W transmissions, he was reported by multiple stations with very low reports. I guess it is still a result of the solar storm and the effect on the magnetic field.

Results last night. TX WSPR 1W on 80m horizontal loop


The next step is to move the WSPR VCXO-AXE kit to the garage. I will install it near the solar powered battery that feeds the CG3000 automatic antennatuner. That way I have my solar powered WSPR beacon. The problem only is that the solar panel (50W max) is now getting to small. I will have to save some money in the future to upgrade. Another step is constructing a antenna for 30m near the garage not interfering with my other antennas too much. That will be another challenge.





4 comments:

Peter pa4o said...

Ziet er goed uit Bas. Als ik op bed ga doe ik de pc altijd uit. Kan hem wel een keer aan laten als je dat wil om te vergelijken. Heb hier als antenne een kattesnor met 2 dipolen. Een van 2x 10m en 1 van 2x 20m. Wordt gevoed met openlijn met mijn s match.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Peter, je hoeft van mij de computer niet aan te laten hoor. Gisteren was het wel even handig dat je er ook was. Had al twijfels over mijn signaal. 73, Bas

Hans said...

Mooi ingebouwd Bas. Dat doosje komt me bekent voor. Jij hebt vast al de schotjes weggesneden hi. Ik zal je wel wat sturen (verrassing) Jammer dat je solarsysteem net te weinig levert voor je TXO. Die trekt bij TX toch gauw 1-2A.
Succes, 73 Hans, PE1BVQ.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, het doosje komt gewoon uit de bouwmarkt. Zat een krimpkous assorti in dat ik nu ondergebracht heb in een ander doosje. De TX trekt 0,5A maar de antennetuner trekt ook 0,5A. Samen 1A en dat 24/7. Je snapt dat een 50W zonnepaneel dat niet in een paar uur kan compenseren. Ik zou minimaal naar 150-200W moeten als zonnepaneel om de accu vol te houden. Ben benieuwd wat je me gaat sturen? 73, Bas